SMC Softball: Belles shut out Franklin

Saint Mary's took care of Franklin College Thursday, sweeping a doubleheader without allowing the Grizzlies (3-13) to score a run.

The Belles (14-2) dominated the first game with a 13-0 win and continued on to a 3-0 victory in the second game.

Freshman pitcher Monica Palicki (6-2) threw the first game, and was aided greatly by the barrage of Belles hits that came early and allowed her to pitch with the lead.

The Belles scored five runs in both the fourth and fifth innings, bringing the run total to 13, enough to give Saint Mary's a run-rule victory. Palicki allowed only two hits in the shutout.

In the second game, which required the defense to be at its best, freshman Angela Gillis (8-0) pitched the Belles to victory. Gillis also notched three hits with a home run.

In the win, junior shortstop Maureen Healy had a pair of hits, scored one run, stole a base and recorded a run batted in.

Despite the impressive performances, the team still has work to do as they enter the conference schedule.

In particular, the focus of late has been on base running.

"We play well together as a team but sometimes we make mental errors on the base paths," freshman third basemen Kate Mitchell said.

Saint Mary's will begin its MIAA conference games on Monday as the Belles travel to Calvin College to face off against the Knights in a doubleheader. Calvin has been struggling this season, winning its first game of the season on Wednesday against St. Catherine (Minn).

The first pitch of the Calvin matchup is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.