Twilight DVD Release Takes a Bite Out of Sales

Edward: "And so, the lion fell in love with the lamb."Bella: "What a stupid lamb."Edward: "What a sick, masochistic lion."Yes, that's right. "Twilight" (dir. Catherine Hardwicke 2008) - the film that tells the love story of a well-meaning vampire and his clumsy, pale classmate - has come to DVD.Are we the sick, masochistic lions, willingly sitting down to watch the film again, realizing we will never, no matter how hard we look, find a vampire to whisk us through the forests of the Pacific Northwest? Or are we the stupid lambs, wasting our hard-earned money on the DVD of an at-best decent film adaptation of a book marketed to 'tweenage' girls? The three-disc special edition of "Twilight" contains hours of extended and additional footage - making the $17.99 purchase at Target worth it for even the most basic vampire fanatic.The edition also includes special featurettes from iTunes, a free digital copy of the movie and, if you buy yours at Target, another set of free extra features. Getting over Robert Pattinson's Edward Cullen's ridiculous American accent and distracting good looks, it's best to accept the movie for what it is: the choppily produced answer to the "Twilight" phenomenon. If the movie accomplishes anything positive, besides catapulting R-Patz into the Hollywood spotlight, it makes pale people fit in, at least with a certain crowd - a crowd of vampires that uncomfortably sparkle in sunny meadows. The extra footage and commentary can help you get inside the actors' heads. In the case of Kristen Stewart, who plays the moody and average Bella Swan, you don't really learn much. But, here's a taste of what Pattinson shares: "There's a really awkward bit in the bedroom," he said of an interaction between his and Stewart's characters. "And [Edward] just ends up jumping out the window, which is what I would do." The main disc features an audio commentary by Pattinson (in his native British), Stewart and Hardwicke, as well as three music videos and five extended scenes, which include one of the silliest movie moments ever. (For brevity's sake, we'll call it "the bit with the ketchup." A true "Twilight" movie buff, or at least someone who's seen the movie twice, will know what that means.)The deleted scenes with director Hardwicke's introduction are more flirty and a little scandalous than what actually made the cut, including a steamy dream sequence between everyone's favorite vampire and his mortal love, and Stewart's favorite scene, which is not taken from Stephenie Meyer's novel, and veers a little too on the creepy side. The commentary that lasts as long as a vampire's life (forever) features gratuitous shots of Pattinson running his fingers through that now-famous mane and clips of screaming girls sporting "Team Edward" and "Team Jacob" T-shirts at Comic-Con. With main menus sound-tracked with that trying-to-be-eerie vampire music, the additional discs take about three hours to pour through. Other must-see features: Hardwicke's vampire kiss montage, which is pretty self-explanatory, Edward's piano concert and the "Becoming Edward" featurette. "Becoming Bella" is there too, just not quite as interesting.