-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Adriana Pratt | Thursday, March 19, 2009

Friday

Waltz with Bashir; Vickers Theatre; 9:00 p.m.; Tickets: Adults $8, Students/Seniors $6

Winner of the Golden Globe for Best Foreign Film and the Best Animated Feature award from the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, the tale “Waltz with Bashir,” based on a true story, explores the director’s memory as he searches to piece together the events of the Lebanon War in the early 1980s. Eerily animated in a style that depicts the serious subject matter, “Waltz with Bashir” shows his journey into the realms of an event that some think would be better to forget. Join Ari Folman on his difficult voyage of self-discovery.

Saturday

Mark Duval and the Brothers Kalamazov; 8:00 pm; The Livery; $5, Free for ‘Mug Club’ Members

For a fun and chill start to the evening, head to The Livery this Friday night for an eclectic and versatile performance by the folksy rock band Mark Duval and the Brothers Kalamazov. With a wide variety of instruments ranging from a guitar and banjo to a flute and saxophone, be prepared to hear surprising combinations of multiple styles influenced by Celtic, bluegrass, and jazz sounds. As spring finally starts to come out of hiding, get up and get off campus for a night of entertaining music.

Saturday

Cre na Cille; 6:30 pm; Browning Cinema; Tickets: $6, $5 faculty/staff, $4 seniors, $3 all students

Capitalize on Notre Dame’s Irish pride by exploring the contemporary Irish films being shown at Browning Cinema this weekend. In an adaptation of Mairtin O Cadhain’s book, the cunning and comical “Cre na Cille” (Churchyard Clay) tells a story of sibling rivalry, death and the fascinating journey souls embark after they’ve left the realms of the living. The recently departed Caitriona hungrily awaits the death of her rival sister Neil, who stole away Caitriona’s true love when living. From the grave to the great beyond, laugh and learn about rural Ireland’s finest as you watch “Cre na Cille.”

Sunday

Eden; (2008); Browning Cinema 3:00 pm; Tickets: $6, $5 faculty/staff, $4 seniors, $3 all students

Director Declan Recks explores the rocky period in many marriages when husbands or wives start to question their happiness in his Irish film, “Eden.” What happens when 10 years into your marriage, you discover an intense unhappiness lurking beneath the surface, one that leads you to believe maybe you are not really in love with your spouse? As Breda Farrell (Eileen Walsh) clings to the thinning threads holding her marriage together, her questioning husband (Aidan Kelly) pulls further away, breaking the bonds they once had.

Contact Adriana Pratt at apratt@nd.edu

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Observer Scene | Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Thursday: “Slumdog Millionaire” (2008), 6:30 and 9:30 p.m., Browning Cinema

If for some odd reason you have been living on the other side of the planet (which is not an excuse because then you’re practically in India) and have missed the chance to see the fabulous film “Slumdog Millionaire,” here’s your chance! Jamal Malik, a poor Indian orphan, lands a spot on “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” in hopes of reuniting with his true love and winning enough money to pull both of them out of poverty. This story is packed full with enough adventure, excitement, romance and the necessary heart-warming ingredient to ensure this movie is worth your time.

Friday: Organissimo at Trio’s Restaurant & Jazz Club, 9 p.m.

With minimal partying taking place on Notre Dame’s campus this weekend, take advantage of the opportunity to venture into the unknown corners of South Bend and visit Trio’s Restaurant & Jazz Club. Don’t miss out on the chance to relax after a tough week of midterms with Organissimo, a band that incorporates the tradition of classic 1960s jazz with modern twists. The event is free, but bring a few extra bucks to indulge in the upscale, casual dining experience Trio’s promises to provide.

Saturday: Riely O’Connor’s Songwriters Spotlight, 8:30 p.m., The Beanery Gourmet Coffee and Cafe

Known for his powerfully thematic and insightful songs, Riely O’Connor will be taking the stage at The Beanery restaurant for an all-original performance that will have audiences humming along to both his energetic rock songs and his heart-felt ballads. O’Connor is a native of South Bend, and released his first album, “Working on a Memory,” in 2004. Enjoy the cozy atmosphere of this coffee house as you snuggle in for a relaxing and entertaining Saturday night. Tickets are $5.

Sunday: Feel the Spirit! Presented by the South Bend Symphony Orchestra, 2:30 p.m., Leighton Concert Hall

Wind your weekend down with the South Bend Symphony Orchestra. Not only will you get to see the show for the extremely low student price of $5, but you will also get to listen to the beautiful voices of The South Bend Chamber Singers. Pieces performed will range from Benjamin Britten’s “Suite on English Folk Tunes” to a unique take on the American spiritual in John Rutter’s “Feel the Spirit.” Tickets are $25 for faculty and staff, $23 for seniors and $5 for all students.

Contact Adriana Pratt at apratt@nd.edu.