28 senators sworn into office

Student body president Grant Schmidt and Student body vice president Cynthia Weber were sworn into office at Wednesday's Student Senate meeting.

Eight new committee chairs and 28 student senators were also sworn in by Ian Secviar, president of the Judicial Council.

Weber said she hopes the new senators will engage in constructive debate throughout the term.

"In general, there is disagreement on this campus and it is my hope that it is mirrored here," she said. "I want this to be a forum."

The senators passed three resolutions during the meeting to bestow emeritus status on former student body president Bob Reish, vice president Grant Schmidt and chief executive assistant Karen Koski.

Chief of staff Ryan Brellenthin said the emeritus status is bestowed to recognize the accomplishments of Reish, Schmidt and Koski.

"They have no actual responsibilities," he said. "It's an honorary thing."

The resolutions met one dissenter.

Alumni Hall Senator Daniel Barrera asked that the resolutions be resubmitted to the Oversight Committee so that the current - and not the former - senators can submit the resolutions.

"I think it's an improper precedent to recognize the previous Senate," Barrera said. "If anything, we should send it back to the committee to vote on it ourselves during the following meeting."

Weber explained that she submitted the motions, representing the incoming administration.

"It's a standard procedure to formally recognize the achievements of the outgoing president, vice president and chief of staff," she said.

Student Senate passed the motions with Barrera as the only negative vote.

Schmidt said taxi reform is a priority for the coming term. He said he discussed the issue at the Community Summit, a conference between University officials, students and members of the community, which took place Friday.

"[Community leaders] are willing to help put together a committee to reevaluate several issues with taxi companies," he said.

An all inclusive campus calendar is also in the works, Schmidt said. The Web site, agenda.nd.edu, will include events put on by dorms, student government and the administration. There will be academic events and sporting events as well, he said.