42nd annual AnTostal celebrates end of year

This week marks the Student Union Board's 42nd Annual AnTostal at Notre Dame. AnTostal, which is Gaelic for "festival," is the school's end-of-the-year celebration.

AnTostal's theme this year is "True Life: I'm a Domer." Many of the scheduled events will be based on various reality television shows.

Megan MacCaughey, the Programmer of AnTostal, said this year's celebration includes both traditional favorites and new events.

Among those carried over from past years' include the quarter-dog eating contest and the Movie on the Quad, which, this year, will be "Heavyweights."

Also appearing at AnTostal this year will be the annual Spring Carnival, which will take place Thursday afternoon on South Quad.

"This year's carnival will feature lots of inflatables," MacCaughey said. "New this year we also have a photo booth where people can take pictures with friends."

There are two new events that are being incorporated into this year's lineup as well. Monday night marked the first "Ring by Spring Dating Game."

Also new this year is the ND Scavenger Hunt. Beginning noon on Wednesday, students can pick up the list of items to be found outside the elevator on the main floor of LaFortune.

"After taking pictures at the designated locations, teams should upload their pictures to Facebook and friend AnTostal," MacCaughey said. "The team with the most points wins an iPod Touch."

Another new feature of this year's AnTostal is the availability of the events booklet online. SUB e-mailed the booklet to the student body in an effort to go green.

In addition to the full week of activities planned, SUB will also sponsor different giveaways everyday.

"We have tons of free giveaways for every day this week including Irish rubber duckies and Kanye West glasses," MacCaughey said.

Tuesday's events include the Irish Gladiator Afternoon, which begins at 3 p.m. on South Quad. A number of childhood games, including kickball, croquet, bingo and freeze tag, are all scheduled.

In addition to the Notre Dame Scavenger Hunt Wednesday, there will also be Survivor Man games on North Quad. Included in these games are Golfing with Marshmallows, Hula Hoop and Irish Quarterback, where students will have the ability to display their football-throwing skills.

On Wednesday evening, there will be Pop Culture trivia in the Montgomery Auditorium with a prize for the winner.

Thursday's main event is the annual Spring Carnival, which will take place from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. on South Quad. The Marketing Club will also host a Golf Scramble and Picnic at the Burke Memorial Golf Course.

Friday afternoon will feature dance lessons in the LaFortune Student Center. Slightly Stoopid will perform that evening at Legends at 10 p.m.

AnTostal events conclude Saturday night with the Battle of the Bands competition at Legends.

In addition to these events, there will also be a number of dorm events taking place throughout the week.

"This year we are really hoping to have a good time," MacCaughey said. "We tried to include the dorm events as well as those planned by SUB."

MacCaughey said she hopes that everyone on campus will participate in the activities throughout the week.

"AnTostal is fun, but more importantly it is a Notre Dame tradition, which is what this University is all about," she said. "We really hope to see a lot of people out there, especially the seniors because this will be their last one."