Annual war averted

Letter to the Editor | Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The “Vagina Monologues” are canceled. I never thought I’d hear those words this spring, and was caught off-guard as I was readying my battle gear for the annual frenzy that takes place every April when the “Monologues” are announced. Considering the current hoop-la about the Obama drama on campus, I expected this year’s feud to be nastier than ever. I want to thank the pragmatic women in charge of the play for being sensible and cancelling the show; one culture battle at a time please!

It’s not that I’m necessarily for or against the show. Last year I wrote a letter to the editor that was partially devoted to addressing the issue, stating how I agree with the goal of the show, but believe that the more vulgar skits undermine the message and do more harm than good in challenging violence against women. The “Monologues” in the form last presented represent a type of feminism that I abhor; not a kind that encourages equality in opportunity, status and treatment through reasoned debate and persuasion, but rather one so polarizing that although it creates lots of discussion, it is only hateful and counter-productive.

It was a good choice to cancel the show and I applaud those who made the decision. Bravo! At the end of this year’s non-performance, I’m giving a standing ovation in hopes of an encore no-show next year. Perhaps an academic discussion centered around activities like volunteering at a battered women’s shelter or handing out informative literature would be time better spent than rehearsing for and attending a divisive and at times particularly offensive display named after a sex organ.

Stephen Bant

off campus

April 7