Architect presents on campus construction

The Council of Representatives (COR) discussed the future of construction occurring on campus as well as a potential spring concert in their meeting Tuesday night.

University Architect Doug Marsh spoke to the Council regarding the projects that will be completed within the next two to three years.

"We have quite a few projects happening this summer," he said.

Marsh highlighted projects that have already begun. He said they would complete the parking lot project next to The Morris Inn. The lot has been lowered to open views for Ryan Hall, which will also be completed in time for the fall semester.

Geddes Hall, the new home of the Center for Social Concerns and other campus offices, will be completed this summer.

"The area around Geddes will be all done and greened up like nothing had ever happened by the time you get back," Marsh said.

Three dorms will undergo renovations while students are away for the summer. Breen-Phillips and Zahm will both be selectively renovated.

These dorms will receive new windows and new plumbing and will have their bathrooms gutted.

Lewis Hall will also undergo a renovation with a new patio and a barbecue built on the backside of the dorm.

After students return in the fall, there will be three projects that will be completed during the first semester.

Both the soccer teams and lacrosse teams will have new homes as of October. The new soccer stadium, Alumni Field is projected to be completed in September and the lacrosse field being projected to end in early October.

Stinson-Remick, the new engineering hall will be completed by Christmas. Marsh said the centerpiece of the hall would be the 8,500 square-foot "clean room" which will be used by researchers of nanotechnology.

"It is an interesting, great time to be here," Marsh said.

After Marsh finished his presentation, Pete Bruckbauer and Pat Gartland presented on the steps it would take to bring a large-scale concert to Notre Dame.

After considering a number of possible venues, Gartland said the best one to hold a large concert would be the football stadium, but it presents some foreseeable problems.

One of the biggest issues is availability. The athletic department has control over when the Notre Dame Stadium can and cannot be used.

"Between the football season, the time it snows, and the Blue and Gold game, the Stadium is only available for about a week and a half during the school year," he said

Another area important to the outcome of the concert is its financing. Gartland spoke of possibly looking into corporate sponsorship as a means of paying for the concert.

After presenting this, Bruckbauer then presented a hypothetical idea for a concert. This plan included using NBC as a possible corporate sponsor.

"They could possibly broadcast the first ever concert from Notre Dame Stadium to the rest of America," he said.

Also included in his plan was a list of bands that would be appealing for both alumni and students. Among these were Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, U2, Dave Matthews Band and Coldplay.