Basketball: Brey hints that Harangody will declare for NBA draft

Irish junior Luke Harangody will announce today whether he will put his name in for consideration for the NBA Draft today or will definitely come back for his senior year at Notre Dame.

But at Wednesday night's basketball banquet, where Harangody received the team's MVP Award, Brey seemed to indicate that Harangody may opt for the draft, at least for now.

"We'll talk to you [Thursday] afternoon about how we're going to attack the next two months," Brey said. "Basically, it's a two month project, taking you up to June 15 ... We'll talk in-depth about all of it, but it's going to be a two-month thing."

Harangody will make his official announcement in a press conference at 4:15 p.m. today in the Joyce Center.

He can declare for the draft and still return to Notre Dame for his senior season as long as he does not hire an agent. June 15 is the last day that players who have not hired agents can withdraw from the draft and return to school.

Harangody won the Big East Player of the Year award his sophomore season and was a first-team All-Big East selection this season, when he averaged 23.3 points and 11.8 rebounds per game and was named a second-team All-American by the Associated Press.

Former Irish forward Zach Hillesland received two awards at Wednesday's banquet. First he received the Notre Dame Club of St. Joseph Valley Rockne Student-Athlete Award and the Captains' Award.

Former Irish forward Ryan Ayers won the Best Defensive Player Award. Rising senior Jonathan Peoples and rising junior Tyrone Nash were co-recipients of the Most Improved Player Award.

Rising senior Tory Jackson won the Outstanding Playmaker Award while former Irish guard Kyle McAlarney took home the Team Irish Award.