Belles drop doubleheader

The Belles' run towards an MIAA championship title hit a speed bump as they dropped both games of a doubleheader to Hope College on Wednesday.

The losses were the first for Saint Mary's (22-6, 6-4 MIAA) at home in almost a month and come just as its bid for the MIAA playoffs seemed to be falling in place.

The team managed just two runs total between the games, which is a disappointing number considering the dominant offensive numbers it has put up this season.

"We struggled a little bit with hitting but I think we have a good attitude so I think we will be ready for our next game," freshman third baseman Kate Mitchell said. "It's more mental than it is physical and I think with a day off it will help us regroup ourselves. We have been looking for the end of the season for a while now."

Even with the losses, however, Saint Mary's still controls its own destiny with four league games remaining in the season. As it stands now, the Belles are hanging on to the fourth spot in the standings, but they still need to win three of their next four games to avoid being left out of postseason play.

The Belles hope to right the ship against Adrian when the two teams meet Saturday. This will be no easy feat as the Bulldogs boast an impressive 29-3 record on the season and are coming off a sweep of Calvin College. If that wasn't daunting enough, Adrian was recently named the top-ranked team in the NCAA Division III Central Region.

Looking further into the future, the schedule doesn't get much easier as Saint Mary's finishes its MIAA schedule with a double-header against two-time reigning champion Trine University. The Thunder boasts a 23-7 record and is coming off two close wins over Albion.

Despite the high level of competition that awaits the Belles, Mitchell feels her team will be ready.

"We are not nervous, we are not scared, we are a confident team and I think this weekend will prove that," she said.

The doubleheader against Adrian is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. tomorrow.