Core values gone?

Letter to the Editor | Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Thank you to Edward Cox for his letter “Pick speakers instead” (April 21). I agree it was a totally stupid decision on the part of Fr. Jenkins and the Board to chose a commencement speaker who would totally tear apart the Notre Dame Family. I recognize more and more that Notre Dame is much different then when I graduated in June of 1970.

As an owner of a condo purchased to be closer to my beloved Notre Dame, I witness the off campus students of today tearing up our complex with no respect or regard for others living around them. The letters to the editor show many current students have lost the core Catholic values which made Notre Dame the premier Catholic university in the nation and quite possibly the world.

I wish to thank Fr. Jenkins for providing the proverbial straw that broke this alum’s back. I will be leaving behind a very important part of my life. I hope it costs Notre Dame millions in donations and ultimately Fr. Jenkins his job for this totally unnecessary choice. Yes, students at Notre Dame today are very different from in my day. However, past alumni have always been an important part of the Notre Dame family, and it saddens me that the administration has chosen to cut their legs out from beneath them.

Ken Koehler

Class of 1970

April 21