-

-

Dining Hall Dish

Ellie Hall | Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sometimes the best way to enjoy food is to mix it all together. From ice cream to salads to smoothies, everything tastes better blended. Today’s dining hall recipes follow this same concept. Mix it up and enjoy!

Mixed-up OatmealOatmeal is a morning staple, regardless of the dining hall. This delicious and nutritious breakfast dish can be made so much more enjoyable if you take advantage of your surroundings. Fill a bowl with oatmeal, but leave about an inch of room from the top.Go to the waffle station and add a ladleful of maple syrup.Add a layer of raisins from the fruit and salad bar.Make your way to the spice rack and add two or three shakes of cinnamon to the top of your oatmeal.Procure a glass of milk and add about three tablespoons (just a little bit). Mix it all together and enjoy your tasty breakfast!

Mexican Fiesta BowlA strange, yet delightful twist on KFC’s Famous Bowls. The combination of mashed potatoes and seasoned beef gives a Mexican kick to this new take on Shepherd’s Pie. Get a large pasta bowl and add one large scoop of mashed potatoesTake your bowl to the Mexican food line and add one scoop of seasoned beef, a small dollop of sour cream, and a sprinkling of cheese.Add a large spoonful of corn from the steamed vegetables section.Mix the different food together.

Cheesy PotatoesNot the healthiest of snacks, but they’re delicious! Get your cheese fry fix in the dining hall and avoid those late night cravings that send you cross-campus to Reckers.Find the form of fried potatoes that the dining hall is offering (the fried seasoned potato cubes are the best, but any fries work well too).Get one of the small bowls used for Jell-O and pudding and fill it with the Nacho cheese sauce from the Mexican food section. A little sour cream is good too. Dip and enjoy!

Have your own dining hall recipe? We would love to feature it! E-mail ehall4@nd.edu

-

-

Dining Hall Dish

Observer Scene | Wednesday, April 1, 2009

It is easy to get into a routine with lunch foods, especially if you don’t have time to be one of those lunch-goers at South with the big backpacks, doing circles around the salad stations as they weigh their options. Maybe you head to the deli station day after day for some turkey and cheese on a roll. Or maybe you’re a fan of peanut butter and jelly and see no reason to go for another alternative. Of course, there’s nothing wrong with these options, but a little change is always good. Try out these easy recipes and your lunchtime experience could be revolutionized.

Buffalo Chicken SaladSo yes, my level of innovation here can be explained by my job at Reckers. Although there is something special about a good Reckers Buffalo Chicken Salad, if you’re running low on Flex points, a similar alternative can be made at the DH. Take a plate of Romaine lettuce. Add celery, onions, diced tomatoes, bleu cheese crumbles and shredded carrots. Then take a chicken breast from the grill station and cut it into strips. (If the chicken poppers are available you could use those instead). Top the salad in buffalo sauce from the deli station. Finally, add those crispy delicious noodle things that no one seems to know the name of. Put another plate on top and shake until the ingredients are evenly distributed. Eat with a side of pita slices (no organic piadina bread with this one, sorry).

The Ultimate Grilled CheeseTired of the generic grilled cheese that sits out in the fried food section at both lunch and dinner, day after day? Maybe you don’t like American cheese, and what could be a quick, satisfying lunch is repeatedly overlooked. Well, even if you never tire of the premade grilled cheese’s crunchy, buttery goodness, this new grilled cheese is worth a try. Take two slices of sourdough bread from the deli section. Add a slice of cheese (cheddar, Swiss or provolone – I’d go for cheddar) to each piece of bread. Then put two slices of ham (or three pieces of bacon) on the bottom piece, and add spinach leaves, onions and tomatoes to your liking. Press the sandwich at the panini station. Once the cheese has melted on both sides, your ultimate grilled cheese is good to go!