Dining Hall Dish

It is easy to get into a routine with lunch foods, especially if you don't have time to be one of those lunch-goers at South with the big backpacks, doing circles around the salad stations as they weigh their options. Maybe you head to the deli station day after day for some turkey and cheese on a roll. Or maybe you're a fan of peanut butter and jelly and see no reason to go for another alternative. Of course, there's nothing wrong with these options, but a little change is always good. Try out these easy recipes and your lunchtime experience could be revolutionized.

Buffalo Chicken SaladSo yes, my level of innovation here can be explained by my job at Reckers. Although there is something special about a good Reckers Buffalo Chicken Salad, if you're running low on Flex points, a similar alternative can be made at the DH. Take a plate of Romaine lettuce. Add celery, onions, diced tomatoes, bleu cheese crumbles and shredded carrots. Then take a chicken breast from the grill station and cut it into strips. (If the chicken poppers are available you could use those instead). Top the salad in buffalo sauce from the deli station. Finally, add those crispy delicious noodle things that no one seems to know the name of. Put another plate on top and shake until the ingredients are evenly distributed. Eat with a side of pita slices (no organic piadina bread with this one, sorry).

The Ultimate Grilled CheeseTired of the generic grilled cheese that sits out in the fried food section at both lunch and dinner, day after day? Maybe you don't like American cheese, and what could be a quick, satisfying lunch is repeatedly overlooked. Well, even if you never tire of the premade grilled cheese's crunchy, buttery goodness, this new grilled cheese is worth a try. Take two slices of sourdough bread from the deli section. Add a slice of cheese (cheddar, Swiss or provolone - I'd go for cheddar) to each piece of bread. Then put two slices of ham (or three pieces of bacon) on the bottom piece, and add spinach leaves, onions and tomatoes to your liking. Press the sandwich at the panini station. Once the cheese has melted on both sides, your ultimate grilled cheese is good to go!