Explosion on campus injures grad student
| Friday, April 24, 2009
An explosion in Fitzpatrick Hall of Engineering left a student injured Thursday afternoon, according to a University spokesperson.
Associate director of News and Information Julie Flory told The Observer a female graduate student suffered “moderately serious burns” after an experiment she was conducting in the basement of the building resulted in a small explosion.
“I would say the injuries were serious, but certainly not life-threatening,” Flory said. “She had burns, but not something they’re concerned about in the long-term.”
The student was taken to a local hospital in an ambulance after the Notre Dame Fire Department responded.
Flory said the student had been mixing a non-toxic chemical combination before the explosion occurred.
The explosion, which occured around 1 p.m., caused a small fire, but Fitzpatrick Hall did not sustain any damages.
Flory said students were evacuated, but the building returned to normal operation shortly after.