Jewelry sold to benefit local charity

Alicia Smith | Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Seven local artisans gathered in the Student Center Atrium Tuesday to sell their handcrafted jewelry for Rebuilding Together, a project to rebuild area homes.

“Just Jewelry for a Just Cause” was a fundraising campaign put on by Saint Mary’s Office for Civic and Social Engagement (OCSE). The money raised will be put towards a project that OCSE has sponsored for the past four years.

“The event is being held to raise money for our sponsorship of a house during the Rebuilding Together project,” Carrie Call, director of OSCE, said.

Rebuilding Together brings members of the South Bend community together to help rehabilitate local homes, Call said.

“Rebuilding Together is an annual event during which a selection of homes in a South Bend neighborhood are rehabilitated. Homes are chosen through an application process and the homeowners must be elderly and/or disabled and/or low income,” she said. “Saint Mary’s has sponsored a house for the past four years. The volunteer work day is this coming Saturday, April 25 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.”

According to the Rebuilding Together Web site the program takes place two Saturdays each year and repairs about 25 homes.

According to the Web site, “Rebuilding Together is a nonprofit, community-based partnership of volunteers from local government, businesses and other nonprofits, that rehabilitate the homes of low-income homeowners and improve neighborhoods.”

Sponsorship of a house costs $3,500, and Call said that although she didn’t expect to raise a great deal of money, every little bit counts.

The event was given its name because jewelry was the only type of item sold.

“Instead of having a big craft fair with people selling lots of different kinds of crafts, we decided to focus on ‘just jewelry.’ Since it raises money for Rebuilding Together, we see that as a ‘just cause,'” Call said.

Each artisan donated at least 20 percent to the Rebuilding Together fund.

“At least 20 percent of each vendors’ profits will go toward Rebuilding Together. Some are donating more than 20 percent,” she said.

Vendors sold all types of jewelry. There were a variety of earrings, bracelets and necklaces. Some were sterling silver while others were beaded.

For more information about how to become involved with the Rebuilding Together project, visit the Web site at http://www.rtsjc.org or visit the OCSE office, room 220 in the Student Center.