ND Softball: Squad crushes Connecticut, sweeps Wisconsin to stay hot

Notre Dame won its sixth straight Tuesday, sweeping host Wisconsin in a non-conference doubleheader three days after wiping out conference foe Connecticut on the road.

The Irish (27-13, 9-3 Big East) topped the Badgers 5-0 and 4-2 Tuesday and the Huskies 12-4 Saturday.

Senior Brittney Bargar got the win on the mound against Connecticut, giving up three earned runs and striking out four. Bargar teamed up with sophomore Jody Valdivia for each of Tuesday's wins.

"Both of our pitchers, Valdivia and Bargar, did really well," junior catcher Alexia Clay said. "They really contributed to our solid defense."

Clay, sophomore Brianna Jorgensborg and senior Beth Northway each homered against the Huskies, and senior Linda Kohan notched three hits.

"Offensively, we've been on fire lately," Clay said. "I was in a hitting slump, so hitting an opposite-field home run against the wind felt really good."

In the first game against Wisconsin, Notre Dame rallied in the seventh inning by scoring four of its five runs. Clay and sophomore Erin Marrone each contributed home runs against Wisconsin.

A successful weekend with three more wins for the Irish should help to prepare them for the challenges that the rest of the season will bring.

"Our team has really come together, and everybody contributed to the win," Clay said. "Everyone is doing their job, and it'll help us get farther in the NCAA Tournament."

The Irish will take on Villanova in Villanova, Pa., for a conference contest Saturday.