-

-

ND Softball: Team visits Big East rivals, looks to improve standings

Laura Myers | Friday, April 17, 2009

Notre Dame looks to gain ground in the Big East this weekend as it travels to conference bottom-feeders Villanova and Rutgers.

The Irish (26-13, 9-3 Big East) currently sit third in the conference, two games behind leader Louisville and 1 1/2 games behind Depaul.

The games this weekend will wrap up a seven-game road trip for the Irish, the longest of the season.

Notre Dame will travel first to Villanova (19-15, 4-11) for a doubleheader Saturday. The squad will then head north to face Rutgers (16-25, 3-11) on Sunday.

“Whether we win depends 100 percent on how we play, not on how our opponents play,” Irish coach Deanna Gumpf said.

The Wildcats have had mixed success lately, winning three of their last six.

Wildcats senior Meghan Morese, who leads her team in hits with 37, hit her 200th career home run Thursday against Towson.

The Scarlet Knights, who are last in the Big East, have also won three of their last six. However, the team lost both games of its last Big East doubleheader against Connecticut.

After this weekend, the Irish will return home for three non-conference games and then will end the regular season with three more Big East doubleheaders.

The first contest at Villanova will begin at 12 p.m. Saturday with the second to follow. The first game against Rutgers will begin at 11 a.m. Sunday with the second game immediately after.