New team takes over Econ. Club

Notre Dame's Economics Club was marginalized for the past few years due to an unstable leadership structure. The club's new leaders insist that their organization is once again relevant.

The club is under the new leadership of co-presidents Josh Garrett and Shae McCarthy, who will be assisted by director of marketing and recruiting Adam Carlson and treasurer Frankie Pires. All of these officers are juniors who said are excited and determined to reestablish this club and leave their legacy before graduating next year.

They have also taken steps to ensure that the club will continue after they graduate.

"We have written a constitution to have people elected at the beginning of each school year," McCarthy said.

"What is important now is to build interest so we can replace the current structure," Garrett said.

Although a leadership structure has been successfully implemented, the officers want to stress that there are limitless opportunities for underclassmen.

"Due to the fallout of the last couple of years, we are working with a large budget," Carlson said.

This large budget will allow underclassmen to create and foster their own ideas for the growing club. These underclassmen who take initiative will have free reign to gain leadership positions at any time.

Current ideas for next year and beyond include: bringing in speakers, holding discussions, showing movies and playing a stock market game.

Making connections with alumni to assist students in networking and to help them learn how to implement economic principles into a variety of careers is also a goal.

Students of all majors are encouraged to join because during these unstable economic times, economics is relevant "for anyone trying to get a job," Pires said.

Right now the officers are meeting once a week to establish their leadership team and to plan for next year.

Economics Club will go far beyond a strictly academic club. It will also be a social opportunity for students who want to learn more about the economy and interact with students of all majors.

An informational meeting for Economics Club will be held on Thursday, April 16 at 6 p.m. in 209 DeBartolo Hall. Food will be served and all are welcome, according to the officers.