Wednesday, May 8, 2024

River of gold

We have seen Notre Dame's stadium as a "sea of green" or "field of blue." Graduation weekend, it would be nice to see the campus turned into a "river of gold." Not to protest ... but to celebrate Ambassador Mary Ann Glendon's reception of the Laetare Medal. What an honor! An award that stands for being Catholic in today's world. Given to a person who models what it means to be Catholic. She is pro-life in a pro-choice world. A woman known as "God's Lawyer."

The Easter Season is a time for celebrating life. Unfortunately, those of us who are affiliated with Notre Dame are in turmoil. Brought up in the Notre Dame family, I love celebrating my Catholic faith. I was taught by my father (class of '52) to see the joy in life and the good in people. Perhaps it is time for all of us no matter what our political affiliation to celebrate life as Christ would want us to, not by being negative, but by focusing on the positive of Christ's Resurrection and His admonition to celebrate life in Him.

Graduation weekend, I am sending Ambassador Glendon 24 golden roses via President Jenkins' office. Perhaps those in favor of life, whether they are Republicans or Democrats, would want to send Ambassador Glendon just one golden rose to celebrate her honor. Picture President Jenkins' office filled with 65,000 roses. Parents, give your graduates golden bouquets and boutonnieres, and graduates, give golden corsages and rosebuds to your loved ones. Imagine a "river of gold" throughout the campus, spreading love, joy and life.

I have also sent a donation to the University's Fund to Protect Human Life, in honor of Ambassador Glendon. Send a donation there or to your local pro-life office, because being Catholic means doing something positive. Our Easter colors are white and gold, and Our Lovely Lady atop the Dome is adorned in gold. We all know the song "Peace is Flowing Like a River." Let it flow golden throughout the campus, like the river Jordan, washing away the negatives and helping us celebrate life and another lady who truly deserves to be honored.

Kathleen Daday Merkel

grad student

off campus

April 19