SMC Softball: Ballgames postponed due to rain

The Belles will be forced to wait another day before they can bounce back from their previous loss as their non-conference matchup against Bethel College was postponed due to weather.

The Bethel game is likely to be cancelled, as it "looks to be too difficult to reschedule," said Belles coach Erin Sullivan.

The Belles (18-4, 4-2 MIAA) are coming off a disappointing weekend, dropping both games of a double-header to divisional foe Alma College. The losses broke the seven-game winning streak and slowed their momentum toward an MIAA conference tournament berth.

However, Sullivan felt that if the Belles see the Scots again, they would come out on top.

"When we play good offensive teams, they capitalize on our mistakes," she said. "We will be ready for our next games and are hoping to see Alma again in the conference tournament."

The Belles will now turn their attention to another non-conference opponent, Robert Morris, as they travel to Illinois for a doubleheader.

The Eagles (17-14) are also coming off a rained-out series.

Belles' pitchers, freshmen Monica Palicki and Angela Gillis, hope to shake off their previous starts and return to their winning ways against the Eagles. Gillis, who was recently named MIAA Pitcher of the Week, was handed her first loss of the season in the second game of the Alma doubleheader.

"Our pitchers have been doing a phenomenal job all season," said Sullivan. "Angela had a tough loss after pitching a really great game. Monica pitched well, just missed on a couple of pitches and Alma took advantage of those misses."

After the doubleheader at Robert Morris, the Belles will return to league play with two home doubleheaders against Albion and Hope on April 11 and 15, respectively.

The first pitch of the Robert Morris game is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.