-

-

University admits top academic class

Nora Kenney | Monday, April 6, 2009

From a pool of 14,352 applicants, Notre Dame accepted its most academically competitive class yet, said Bob Mundy, the director of admissions operations.

The average SAT score of admitted students for the class of 2013 is 1434 – seven points higher than that of students from the class of 2012. The average ACT score is 32.6, Mundy said.

On average, admitted students were in the top four percent of their high school classes, he said.

Mundy said the applicant pool for the class of 2013 was the second largest in history -following the class of 2011, when about 14,500 applications were submitted.

The number of applications increased 3 percent from last year, he said.

He said this year marks the first year the University used the Common Application, which could explain the increase in applications.

Mundy said the University also saw the largest minority applicant pool, and hopes that 22 to 24 percent of the incoming class will be non-white.

However, he said the final figures for the class of 2013 numbers are difficult to predict until the deadline for students to accept their offer of admission has passed.

Although the University reported the second-highest number of applicants this year, Mundy said the Admissions Office anticipates that the recession will affect the decision process for admitted students.

“There is … a feeling among our colleagues that students will take a bit longer to decide to enroll, meaning that more will reply right at the May 1 deadline,” he said.

Mundy said the University admitted more students in Early Action than they have in the past because of the recession.

“The faltering economy was one of the reasons we admitted more students in Early Action than has been typical,” he said. “We knew they were competitive and we felt it better to offer admission in December in order to give these students more time to consider Notre Dame as a college option.”