I'm a survivor

Be patient with me, I've never done this before. Write an article, I mean. But, thanks to my liberal arts education - I love putting that on my resumes, it always sounds so impressive - I think I can handle it. After all, look at all I've been through.

I've survived four years of living in Farley. The hardest part was having roommates for the first three years, meaning I had to keep my room somewhat clean. Thank you, Lauren, for not minding that my solution involved stuffing everything under my lofted bed and covering it up with a shower curtain.

I survived five semesters of work at North Dining Hall. I'll never forget working Saturday brunches, especially on football game days, nor all the lovely Napkin Mountains and Leftover Upside-Down Cup Volcanoes people have gifted me during my shifts. Greasy half-eaten chicken bones and breakfast leftovers saturated in orange juice still make me a little queasy.

I survived a tornado at Notre Dame during senior week a few years ago, when the poor Basilica lost one of its spires. Once the hazy green sky faded back to its usual grey-blue, it was fun exploring the new jungle created on North Quad by all the fallen trees.

I survived designing The Shirt 2009, and all the criticism that has come as a result of the gold color. Luckily, Viewpoint letter-writers have been too distracted by a certain airplane and protest campaign to offer many nasty comments this year. I think it actually looks awesome with blue jeans, which everyone wears to the game anyway, because then the outfit is Notre Dame Blue and Gold.

I survived a getting lost on a hiking trip in the south of Chile. After wandering for a considerable amount of time through a waist-high field of thorns with a dead flashlight and worthless cell phone (I get better reception in the basement of my dorm), I found my group just as the sun was setting and the storm winds were picking up. Dinner was tuna and smashed granola bars for the fourth day in a row - clearly, we are experienced campers.

I survived 21 years without underage drinking, followed by very crowded birthday initiations at The Backer and Finny's during Blue-Gold Weekend. I've still never been to Fever, but some tell me this is possibly a good thing.

I survived the Holy Half Marathon this year ... in South Bend's specialty: overcast wintry-mix and 32-degree weather. This semester was the first time I've run more than two miles consecutively in my life. I should also mention that I hate running. Thanks Teresa, I never could - or would - have done it without you!

I've survived a year-long relationship with my boyfriend, intelligently started just as summer vacation began last year, even though we wouldn't be in the same country again until the fall. Happy anniversary, Greg!

I survived a design thesis project that is currently on display in the Snite Museum of Art. It's an animation to teach young children the basics of Catholic Social Teaching. I put a lot of work into it, so take the kids and go see it because it's there until Monday. This is a shameless self-plug.

Finally, I've survived writing my first article, all 582 words of it. I hope it wasn't too terrible for a first attempt.

Mary is a BFA Graphic and Industrial Design major, and after graduation she will move back in with her parents and hope to win the lottery.

The views expressed in this

column are those of the author and not necessarily those of The Observer.Be patient with me, I've never done this before. Write an article, I mean. But, thanks to my liberal arts education - I love putting that on my resumes, it always sounds so impressive - I think I can handle it. After all, look at all I've been through.