Senior awarded for 'outstanding' service

Saint Mary's College will be honoring senior Caitlin Brodmerkel with the Outstanding Senior Award for 2009.

According to a press release, every year the Alumnae Association Board of Directors presents this award to a senior "who exemplifies the spirit and values of the College," according to a press release.

The Board searches for candidates who "demonstrate scholarship, leadership and outstanding dedication to Saint Mary's," the release said.

The senior is chosen from nominations submitted by students, faculty and staff. Brodmerkel received nominations from two administrators, the press release said.

Brodmerkel is a nursing major who spent the summer before her senior year in Kyarusozi, Uganda. She spent 10 weeks working with the Sisters of the Holy Cross at their health clinic, according to the press release. She also spent time at St. Joseph's Secondary School, which is run by the Brothers of the Holy Cross.

Brodmerkel was a member of the Saint Mary's cross-country team and served as the team's captain for her junior and senior year.

During her four years at SMC, she participated in Circle K, Dance Marathon, the Student Nurses Association and the Student Athlete Advisory Committee. In addition, Brodmerkel served the South Bend community by spending time at the Sister Maura Brannick Health Center, Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center Outreach Program, St. Margaret's House and Marquette Primary, the press release said.

Brodmerkel studied abroad in Ecuador and also participated in two service trips to Appalachia. Brodmerkel has continued to help the Sisters' clinic in Uganda by starting the Web site, ugandavillage.com, which has raised nearly $10,000.

Brodmerkel will graduate summa cum laude with a 3.88 GPA and will be attending graduate school at the University of Indianapolis in the fall.