SMC commends professors, students

Saint Mary's recognized three members of the Saint Mary's community by handing out the St. Catherine Medal, the Spes Unica Award and the Maria Pieta Award during the College's Honors Convocation May 5.

According to a College press release, sophomore Alicia Wilkins received the St. Catherine's Medal for demonstrating "high standards of personal excellence and scholarship and has contributed to the College community in the spirit of Christian leadership." The award is given in honor of St. Catherine of Alexandria who is the patron saint of women scholars.

Wilkins is an education major who was recognized for her "tireless volunteer efforts in local schools," the release said. She spends time working with the Office for Civic and Social Engagement (OSCE) at Saint Mary's to volunteer within the South Bend community.

Wilkins has spent over 500 hours working with the Saint Mary's College Academy of Tutoring (CAT), which works with Title 1 schools in the area.

She was also recently award by the College with the Patricia Arch Green Award for "her exemplary service to the community's children," the press release said.

The Spes Unica Award recognized mathematics professor Charles Peltier for his "eminent service to Saint Mary's College," according to the press release.

Peltier has been teaching at the College since 1974, leading math courses such as Introduction to Statistics and Statistical Applications. He is also the College Marshal for Honors Convocation and Commencement, and has also served as secretaries of the Faculty Assembly, Academic Standards Committee and Academic Affairs Committee.

According to the release, Peltier was recently elected treasurer of the Indiana section of the professional mathematics organization.

This year's Maria Peita Award was awarded to Thomas Fogle, a professor in the department of biology. The award was established in 1976 in honor of Sister Maria Pieta who served as a teacher and administrator at the College, according to the press release. It "recognizes the quality of teaching done in courses for freshmen and sophomores," the press release said.

Fogle has been at Saint Mary's for almost 30 years, and is well respected by his colleagues.

"When parents ask me why their daughter should select Saint Mary's College, I tell them their daughter will get a great education here. This person is one of the people I mention by name," Professor Nancy Nekvasil, chair of the department of biology, said in the press release.

Fogle teaches several Biology courses. One among them is a two-week Ecuador/Galapogos Summer Study Program that is offered every other year.