The things I'll miss

With the firestorm of anti- and pro-Obama coalitions and Viewpoint letters popping up and pouring into campus lately, it's sometimes easy to forget that there's an institution across the street from Notre Dame.

But, come Saturday, I will listen to a prestigious broadcast journalist - Judy Woodruff, in case you've forgotten - address students, shake hands with a 1972 graduate of the same institution, receive a degree and join the ranks of Saint Mary's College alumnae.

Four years ago, I couldn't wait to leave. I had only been on campus for five weeks, but those five weeks seemed to be the longest of my life.

Four days ago, I sat at the alumnae luncheon and couldn't believe it had gone so fast.

If I could tell my freshman self one thing it would be: it's all going to be okay.

Advice I need to listen to once again as I have no idea what I'll be doing as of May 17.

I made the best friends anyone could ever ask for while I was here. I still can't fathom the fact that next August I won't be moving into a dorm room getting ready to start production on the first Observer of the year while my friends get ready for band camp.

I can't imagine life without Katie, my BFFF, one floor above me. I look forward to our motorized wheelchair races in the nursing home.

Without Jim to keep me sane when the world seems to try it's best to unhinge me.

Without Jessie always ready with some chocolate or the box of goodies to eat while watching "The Office" and tales of Vegas to brighten my day.

Without Jared - wait, you've been gone for a year already.

Without Emily always ready to watch "Lost" with me.

Without Melissa, who hates pants, to fawn over JRM and lament our migraines together.

Without Deanna to survive Spanish classes, eat Ritter's and take walks with.

Without Matt of the Saxophones to ask to a dance in the newspaper.

Without Angela always ready with a hug and ready to order pizza to make a bad night better

Without Mary Ellen to have random dance parties with in my parked car and to make fun of my sudden obsession with wings.

Without Mandi and Ashley to gossip about The Observer with.

Without Buddie to take creepy stalker pictures of at Friday Marchouts. Sorry I lapsed in the stalking this year, but we'll always have "Buddie does MSU."

Without Kristi, whose futon became my second bed during sophomore year.

And without Mickey to stop and chat with at the Student Center front desk. Don't forget to make me your press secretary when you become president someday.

I'll miss the little things about being at Saint Mary's. The peaceful feeling I always get seeing nuns taking walks on nice spring days; the beauty of the Avenue in the fall; the quietness of campus in the summer; and even the seemingly endless winters. Without them we wouldn't have had amazing snowball fights or been able to sled down the steps of Moreau at midnight.

Even though there have been bad times, hard times and even horrible, no good, very bad days, the fact of the matter is that this place and all of the friends I met here will forever be in my heart and I'm glad I became a Belle.

So, to the Class of 2009 on both sides of the street, thank you for the memories and the friendship. Good luck in everything you set out to do.

Liz Harter is graduating with a degree in English Writing. After graduation she will be gainfully unemployed in Cincinnati, Ohio so if you hear of any leads send them her way. She wants to especially thank her Mom and Dad for everything they've done for her over the years. And thanks to The Observer. We've had our ups and downs, but in the end, I devoted a huge portion of undergrad to you in the basement. To all my fellow editors, thanks for allowing me the pleasure of working with you all and a special thanks to all my writers for putting up with my insanity.