Block Party set for Saturday

A back-to-school tradition for many, The Show, which brings well-known musicians to the Joyce Athletic Center, is not returning to campus this year.

Instead, Legends of Notre Dame is holding the first ever B1 Block Party Saturday.

The Block Party will feature artists Matisyahu and Eric Hutchinson in an outdoor event in the B1 parking lot near the restaurant and club. Food vendors and a beer garden - for students over 21 - will be available.

Aaron Perri, general manager of Legends, said the construction in the Joyce Center played a major role in the decision to discontinue the show this year.

"The Block Party doesn't necessarily replace The Show," Perri said. "The Show just couldn't happen this year because of the construction and when we saw there wasn't going to be a major concert at the beginning of the year, we decided to fill the void with a Legends show.

"But The Show could certainly come back in its true form next year."

In order to fill the shoes of The Show, Perri said the venue needed to accommodate a large number of students, so they decided to hold the concert outdoors in a more festival-like setting,

"We wanted to fit in as many people as possible. We're expecting 6,000 people and they can't all fit in Legends," he said. "We've never really had anything like this on campus."

The doors open at 5 p.m. for students to enjoy food and drink and several student and warm-up bands.

Eric Hutchinson will take the stage at 7:30 p.m. and Matisyahu, at 9:30 p.m.

Student body president Grant Schmidt said student government was asked for input when Legends and the Student Activities Office were reworking the entertainment for the beginning of the school year.

"A lot of us at ND always comment on the challenge of getting big names to ND's campus and also comment on the need for events that can really bring the student body together," he said. "I think Saturday will be huge."

In the past, The Show committee has struggled to get big names to commit, so the Block Party worked to make the venue a draw, as well as the artists, Schmidt said.

"This is basically the first of its kind," he said. "For this concert, the venue and the event as a whole are the highlights."

Freshman Matt Nelligan said he is attending the Block Party, even though he had previously never heard of Matisyahu or Eric Hutchinson.

"I'm just going to meet people," he said. "It's a great way for freshmen to get to know more people."

Freshman Grace Corrigan said she also bought tickets to the Block Party to socialize.

"It sounds like fun," she said. "I think even if I didn't know who the bands were, I would probably go just for the atmosphere."

Sophomore Mia Stenger said she attended The Show last year as a freshman, but was not impressed with the atmosphere and performances.

"I left after about five minutes," she said. "It was boring."

But Stenger said she is considering attending the Block Party.

"It seems like it will be more fun than The Show," she said. "It's better outside than in the Joyce Center."

Tickets for the Block Party are available for $10 at ww.b1blockparty.com