CLC discusses plans for coming year

To jump-start their first meeting of the year, members of the Campus Life Council (CLC) reviewed last year's accomplishments and voiced their ideas for 2009 - 2010 school year, including student legal services, a more inclusive orientation experience for transfers and a safety awareness campaign.

"To start this conversation, one of the things that we've looked into is student legal services on campus. There are some things that are very easy to do," student body president Grant Schmidt said. "We've talked to Captain [Bill] Kirk to make sure students know what they're looking for when they sign a lease. There are certain other things that we want to look into, for example, if a student is given a citation for drinking."

The members emphasized that since the CLC proposes ideas directly to Vice President of Student Affairs Fr. Mark Poorman, the committee can bring about more immediate change.

"This is a much more efficient channel than some of our other boards," Schmidt said.

The members also discussed the possibility of a transportation service that would be freely available to students wanting to travel to popular venues in South Bend.

"Having a free ride off campus is a lot better than walking and possibly getting mugged," senior Brendan McQueeney said.

While discussing ideas for the upcoming year, the members also defined their purpose.

"Essentially it's to speak on behalf of the student body to take on tasks that student government might not feel ready to take on, given the power we have to present certain resolutions to Father Poorman," said Fr. Pete McCormick "When you think of the printers that are all throughout the dorms, that's a byproduct of our planning. I think the CLC is a good balance of not just talk, but also action."

Drunk driving could be the focus of an effort to raise student awareness about safety issues, said senior Gustavo Gari, director of external affairs.

"I think that one of the problems that we saw this summer is student drunk driving," Gari said. "I think with Father Pete in the awareness campaign that should be an essential element."

Gari also said it would be important to help the student body adjust to the opening of Eddy Street Commons, as issues could arise with the close proximity of a business development to campus.

With security changes being implemented as part of this year's effort to improve football game-day weekends, the CLC also plans to address any issue's that develop regarding student arrests, Schmidt said.

Next meeting, the CLC plans to propose focus groups to begin addressing these issues for the upcoming year, Schmidt added.