-

-

Frosh-O madness begins again

Sarah Mervosh | Friday, August 21, 2009

New Zahmbies, Chicks, Gentlemen and Wild Women alike have arrived on campus to their new home under the Dome. But many incoming freshmen may not be feeling quite at home just yet.

This weekend, Freshmen Orientation, or Frosh-O, aims to make the transition a little easier by helping incoming students get to know others and feel more comfortable on campus.

“The whole point of the weekend is to make friendships and get integrated, to make this your home away from home,” sophomore Garrett Campbell, who is on the Frosh-O staff for Sorin College, said.

In order to make that happen, each dorm has planned different activities for its freshmen, in addition to campus wide activities for all freshmen.

Most dorms used Friday as a time to move in and a chance to get to know one another with icebreakers.

Sorin College freshman Adam Wisbrock said the move-in process was easy because his Frosh-O staff moved in all of his belongings.

“They moved it all in. It was really easy,” Wisbrock said. “By the time we were done registering everything was in here.”

Freshman Brittany O’Donnell, who lives in Badin Hall, said the move-in process was a little stressful, but not too overwhelming.

“I’m glad my family is here to help,” she said. “At first I thought [my room] was a little small, but once everything has been moved around and everything is getting unpacked it’s getting to look like a normal size.”

Today, incoming freshmen will be busy with dorm activities.

For example, Walsh Hall will have a scavenger hunt on campus, Walsh Commissioner Joanie Fisher said.

“We make them go into DeBartolo and tell us how many chairs are in the back of 101,” Fisher said. “They go into the Huddle and get a picture of themselves huddling in the Huddle.”

Through the scavenger hunt, Fisher hopes the Walsh freshmen will get to know each other and get acclimated to campus “in a fun and friendly way.”

In addition to the scavenger hunt, Fisher said Walsh freshmen will also be learning a song, which is medley of “Grillz” by Nelly, “That’s Not My Name” by the Ting-Tings, and various Backstreet Boys songs.

Campbell said in an effort to help make incoming freshmen feel comfortable Frosh-O has a slightly different focus this year. Frosh-O is more focused on helping freshmen meet other students in their own dorm, as opposed to those from other dorms.

“This year they are trying to focus on in-dorm stuff,” Campbell said. “It’s less focus on spreading yourself out to people you’d meet once and feeling overwhelmed, and more focused on meeting people in your dorm.”

But freshmen will also have many opportunities to branch out and meet people from other dorms, he said. This weekend, freshmen will have ice cream socials, play recess games, have bonfires and eat meals with other dorms.

Domerfest, a dance for all freshmen that takes place tonight, will be another opportunity to meet students from across campus.

With all of the commotion this weekend, many freshmen said they are feeling a mixture of excitement and nervousness.

“I’m just really excited to be on campus,” O’Donnell said. “I heard you meet a lot of different people [during Frosh-O] and it’s just a really fun experience to get settled in.”

Freshman Andrew Anderson of Keough Hall said so far, being on campus has been “fun” and “chaotic.”

“I’m just excited about the whole thing … but I’m still nervous at the same time,” Anderson said. “I’m just nervous about meeting new people, getting to know my professors and making sure that I pick the right major.”

Anderson said he has not been informed about any plans for the weekend and has no expectations for what Frosh-O will be like.

“I’m totally just going with the flow,” he said. “I have no idea what’s going on.”

At the end of Frosh-O, Anderson said he hopes he will feel a bit more settled in.

“I’d like to feel comfortable, like I feel like I fit in and I know the campus better,” he said.