College holds activities night

Saint Mary's held their annual activities night Wednesday, filling the Student Center with more than 100 booths, including groups from Notre Dame and the South Bend community, as well as from the College.

Patrick Daniel, director of student involvement, estimated around 850 to 1,000 students attended.

Student Coordinator Katie Cuda said she started planning Saint Mary's Activity Night the first day she stepped on campus this semester. From the Chinese Culture Club to the Irish Dance Team, Cuda was responsible for contacting every club and organization that was represented.

This year, the event was moved from the Angela Athletic Facility to the Student Center to "improve the movement of students," Cuda explained. "The Student Center not only has more people coming in and out, but it allows for a smooth flow of students from table to table."

Club Volleyball President Alie Bennett noted that Activities Night is crucial for her program.

"We need activities night to recruit because most people don't even know the club volleyball program exists," Bennett said.

Freshman Tamara Meeks signed up for so many clubs that she lost count.

"I probably won't commit to all of them," Meeks said. "I'll just choose later once I have received more information about them."

Fellow first year Emily Ryniak signed up for both the Spanish Club and the humanitarian group Invisible Children.

"I joined the Spanish Club because I plan to be a Spanish minor, and the Invisible Children group just sounded interesting," Ryniak said.

Abby Harman, a first year, was initially intimidated by the endless options, but believes it is a great way to expose new students to all that Saint Mary's offers.

"It was overwhelming seeing all the tables at first, but it's great that we get to a chance to see everything, no matter what our interests are," Harman said.