Cosine of the times

Letter to the Editor | Sunday, September 13, 2009

It is typical for liberals to equivocate all conservatives with being racist. This has been even more common since the election of Barack Obama. This demonization by hardcore leftists is a sick (not to mention asinine) way to justify their political ideology. Racism equals bad; I think conservatives are racists; therefore, anything a conservative says is dumb/evil. The fallacy with this line of thought is painting a group of people as all believing the same thing. I believe this is called a stereotype, something that I thought progressive-minded persons tried to avoid.

In Brooks Smith’s editorial (“Sign of the times,” Sept. 10), this illogical argument is used again. Disregarding the fact that the Republican party, the shell of conservative thought and the party of Lincoln, was instrumental in ending slavery, that the Bush cabinet contained two African Americans, two Asian Americans, four women and one Cuban American, that conservative ideology is to the benefit of all peoples who work hard and wish to live life without the government telling them what they can and can’t do, liberals still try to label us as racists. Racism is an individual decision, so don’t lump me in just because I may vote the same way.

Mark Easley

Keenan Hall

Sept. 11