Cures For Dog Sickness

The dog is man's best friend. He's seen braces, first dates and high school graduations. He's woken you up at 5 a.m., eaten the rest of that delicious turkey sandwich and tackled you into the bushes in the backyard. Good day or bad, he's always made sure to cuddle up at the end of your bed. But there's one thing he can't do ... go to college.  Your poor furry friend has been waiting for you since August. Who can forget seeing that pathetic wet nosed face as your minivan pulled out on its way to Notre Dame? Initially your dorm room looked really sweet with its movie posters, futon, fridge and television, but in a few weeks, you realized one missing feature: The sleeping puppy curled up on the bed loft.  Since non-carnivorous fish in the dorm are not particularly lovable, it's understandable to be missing Sparky. With three weeks left until Fall Break, here's some ways to cure that homesickness for your dog, and get excited to see that tail wagging when you greet him in October: Dailypuppy.com: Bassets, boxers and beagles ... where better to find them then dailypuppy.com, "your daily fix for puppy pictures." Everyday the site features a new adorable puppy, and you can vote for him by clicking on the biscuits. Most puppies get 10 or 11 biscuit votes, truly showing where the cutest puppies are on the Web.YouTube: A quick YouTube hit of the words "puppy" or "dog" yields some golden moments. Want to see a dog run into his reflection in a mirror? "Puppy v. Mirror" has got it covered. Or how about a puppy struggling to roll over? Check out "Puppy Can't Roll Back Over." But the best of all: "Cute Puppy Whistle," in which a 3-week-old Labrador attempts to whistle: 3 million hits.Pet the Fisher Hall basset hound: She may be a little smelly but definitely loves belly rubs.Volunteer at the St. Joseph's County Humane Society (through Circle K): These dogs are cooped up in cages all days, just dying for some attention. Do yourself, and the dog, a treat by walking them around the shelter a little. Don't forget the pooper scooper.Framed photos: In high school, chemistry always seemed a little easier when Spot was offering encouragement by your side. Though he can't be there during Orgo study sessions, a little photograph of your dog can be a nice reminder that midterms are almost over and games of fetch just around the corner.Watch "Homeward Bound" or "101 Dalmatians": These two movies are not as funny to a college student as a five-year-old, but they are still classics. And who knows? Maybe your dog is making his own "incredible journey" like Shadow and Chance to find you in South Bend, Ind.So curl up on the futon, grab a copy of "101 Dalmatians," and remember that your dog is ready to give you a big lick on the face when his best friend comes home.