Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Dining Hall Dish

As autumn approaches, temperatures and hemlines drop. Starbuck's pumpkin spice latté returns, wafting its savory autumnal scents through the halls of LaFortune. For me, autumn always meant a ceramic casserole dish full of my mom's rich, creamy home-style cooking. Fall's festive foods warm the spirit and cheer the soul. Perhaps this down-on-the-farm dinner menu can serve as one small, savory reminder of your home away from the dome.

Main Course: Deep-Dish Chicken'n'Noodles

Inspired by my summer as a waitress at Bob Evans, this dish always pleased customers. I know its creamy, succulent broth will entice you too! First, grab a plate bowl. Take a biscuit. Break it in half and place in the plate bowl. Scoop mashed potatoes on top of the biscuit. From the soup station, ladle Chicken-in-the-Pot soup on top. Enjoy!

Side Dish: Glazed Carrots

Dulcet and decadent, this side dish always sat beside a turkey or ham at our family's table. First, place steamed carrots in a bowl. Add a spoonful of brown sugar, a dab of melted honey butter (found by the rolls in South Dining Hall), and a dash of cinnamon sugar (found by the bagels). If no steamed carrots are available, steam your own by adding a small amount of water, covering the bowl and microwaving.

Beverage: Spiced Apple Tea

First, steep hot tea in a tall glass, filling only half way. Next, add apple juice till full. Sprinkle in cinnamon sugar and microwave till hot. Be careful not to burn your tongue on this ambrosial autumn classic!

Dessert: Apple Pie a'la Mode

First, scoop vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt into a bowl. From the waffle bar, spoon warm spiced apples on top. Although this recipe relies the waffle bar's fruit-of-the-day, warm cherries work just fine for a variation of this homey dessert classic. Sprinkle Cinnamon Toast Crunch on top for a whimsical crust. Finally, for added flair and flavor, drizzle caramel (found in the ice cream section) and cinnamon sugar on top. Close your eyes, take a bite, and remember the warm feeling of grandma's homemade pie.