Hook ups: Two can play

Naming names in this column is not something that has been previously done, nor something I will begin to do now, but this John Tucker knows who he is, and that is good enough for me.

There is a difference between dating, hooking up and being in a relationship. As many people may be familiar with dating is awkward, hooking up is generally done while under the influence and relationships are messy, but hopefully worth the reward. However, when you attempt to mix the three, there will be trouble.

In my experience, which may be limited but isn't altogether unimportant, women don't generally try to do this. It is often times the guys who, upon arriving at college, feel the need to assert their manhood (among other things) by seeing how many girls they can score. Now personally, I see no harm in this to be honest, as long as the men are up front with their intentions, I don't judge.

In fact, I don't judge people as a rule of thumb. However, when what a certain male has done affects one of your friends, there must be some sort of retribution. In this case, I don't believe in violence, but I do believe in words.

One day, and maybe this is simply my wishful thinking, you will have done to you what you have done to these women and it will give you at least some small twinge of regret. But in reality, we all know this isn't true. So, what I am saying now goes out to all those women who have been scorned.

The Golden Rule no longer applies. The only way to make a guy like this empathize is to make him feel your pain. So, learn how to date like these men date, and maybe you will begin to learn why they are the way they are.

In the end ladies, this isn't to teach them a lesson. More than likely, they don't have the mental capacity to learn it. What this will hopefully accomplish for you is an understanding. In this way, the next time you meet a guy who is simultaneously dating, trying to hook up and nursing a relationship, you will know. His MO will be painfully obvious.

The only goal I have with these words is to prevent those girls who are looking for genuine togetherness to steer as far away from these guys as possible. For those of you who don't mind playing games, I am simply giving you more openings to play with.

In the end, I suppose, all any girl really wants is to have a little fun. So, how about we have a little fun at his expense for once, and not our own.