Irish head to Evans Invite

Notre Dame will travel to Lexington, Ky., this weekend to compete in the Bettie Lou Evans Invitational for the first time in program history.

The Evans Invite is only the second tournament of the young season. The Irish will try to improve on their 10th-place finish in the Mary Fossum Invitational on Sept. 13.

There is definitely room for improvement for this year's squad, one that already has plenty of collegiate experience.

The roster features three seniors and no freshmen, with one golfer, senior Annie Brophy, having played in every match over her three previous years.

"We made a number of mistakes in Michigan," coach Susan Holt said. "These are things that should be fixed by now."

The whole team of seven will be traveling to play on the University of Kentucky Golf Club's Big Blue Course, with those golfers not in the top five to have a chance to compete for a spot in the starting lineup for later tournaments.

The current five starters are Brophy, senior Kristin Wetzel, juniors So-Hyun Park and Katie Conway and sophomore Becca Huffer.

This lineup is the same as that of the Mary Fossum Invitational, with the addition of senior Julie Kim and sophomore Katie Allare being entered as individuals. This tournament will be Allare's debut for the Irish.

The Irish will need their best effort this weekend to compete with the high level of competition in the Invitational, which will feature three top-25 teams (No. 9 Florida State, No. 12 Chattanooga and No. 25 Louisville) in the 15-team field.

The Seminoles are coming off a second-place finish at the Cougar Fall Classic and the Mocs placed third out of 18 in the Golfweek Conference Challenge. The tournament this weekend will be comprised of three rounds, each on separate days and all beginning at 8:30 a.m.