Leave Miley alone

I am the first to admit that I do not know anything about pop music or pop singers. I did not even know that when students talked about "Party in the U.S.A" they were talking about a new Miley Cyrus song until the Scene Section on Sept. 28.

Miley Cyrus is 16. Let that sink in. If I could look back on the poetry I wrote for my high school English classes at 16 I am sure they would be far worse than the lyrics to the new Cyrus song, and I am sure I am not alone. If any of the Scene writers who knocked Cyrus' lyrics listen to any other pop or hip-hop music and think that those lyrics are any more artistic or relevant to college students, they have lost all credibility to knock her. To say that Cyrus is not her own person because she does not wear the type of trashy get-ups that Lady GaGa wears, or actually wears clothes unlike Pink, is unfair.

Would any other 16 year old verbally threaten Radiohead's career? To say that Cyrus' voice is nasally to a fault is saying that Bob Dylan should be kept on paper. And though I do not like pop music, the industry or the artists, I chose to not listen or buy the music as my form of protest rather than attacking 16- year-old girls.

If the students of Notre Dame do not like the new Miley Cyrus song, then do not listen to it. If the students of Notre Dame do not like Miley Cyrus, then they should be picking on someone their own age.

Martha Karam

sophomore

Welsh Family Hall

Sept. 29