-

-

ND Club Sports: Men’s water polo gets three wins at tourney

Joe Meixell | Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Men’s Water Polo

The Irish traveled to Cincinnati, Ohio, to participate in the first annual Nutty Invitational this past weekend. The squad put in a strong showing over the weekend, going 3-1 to finish third in the tournament.

In their first match against Tennessee, the Irish jumped out to claim an early lead on their way to a 15-2 victory. Freshman Chris Jennis scored four goals in the first quarter to give Notre Dame all the offense it would need. Sophomore captain Dan Geisman also contributed three goals.

In its second match, Notre Dame dropped a hard fought contest, 10-8, to the tournament hosts, the Ohio Squirrels. The Irish had trouble putting in shots around Ohio’s former All-American goalie, particularly on many of the team’s numerous man-up opportunities in the first quarter. Trailing 8-4 after the end of the third quarter, the Irish mounted a comeback near the end of the game, but were unable to overtake the Squirrels.

In the third match, the Irish rolled to a 26-10 victory over Bowling Green. Fast play yielded a score of 8-6 after the first quarter, but Notre Dame settled in on defense and continued to score at will the rest of the way. Senior Alex Wheeler had a hat trick while Jennis and sophomores Rob Ray and Drew Wroblewski each added two goals of their own in a contest that saw each Irish player find the back of the net.

In its final match, Notre Dame cruised to a 14-6 win over Cross-town. The Irish overpowered their opponents early, going up 6-1 in the first quarter, eventually claiming the victory.

Notre Dame will face its next test in conference play to be held at home at the Rolfs Aquatic Center Sept. 26.

Water Skiing

Gaines, Mich., was the site of the Great Lakes Conference water skiing competition this weekend. Twenty club members represented Notre Dame and the team took sixth place in a field of nine teams, the best finish ever in the club’s two-year history.