ND Forum delayed until spring

A popular highlight of recent fall semesters at the University has been the annual Notre Dame Forum, which invites panelists from different backgrounds to discuss various controversial topics.

With no indications of a Forum this year so far, however, University spokesman Dennis Brown confirmed Tuesday that one will take place this year, but in the spring semester.

"A planning committee has been working on the event for several months," he said.

Brown said the Forum was delayed from its usual fall date because "the spring semester is a better fit for the schedules of key panelists."

Brown said the University will announce the Forum's topic and its participants "once commitments are secured from key panelists."

Brown did not make further comment about the Forum, which will be the fifth at the University.

Last September, General Electric CEO Jeff Immelt, Colorado Gov. Bill Ritter, environmental activist Majora Carter and MIT Professor Ernest Moniz sat on a panel that discussed sustainability issues. The Forum coincided with a number of green and other environmental events last fall.

The Notre Dame Forum was started in 2005, the first year of University President Fr. John Jenkins' leadership at Notre Dame. The first Forum addressed the role of religion in a plural world and was moderated by former NBC anchor Tom Brokaw.

According to a 2008 University press release, "[t]he Notre Dame Forum assembles world leaders on campus in discussion of the leading issues of the day. 

"The Forum seeks to engage all campus constituents in these important conversations to better formulate solutions and effect positive change."

The 2006 Forum addressed global health issues and the 2007 Forum dealt with immigration.