ND Women's Golf: Team opens the season with tenth place finish

Notre Dame notched a final round 311 to finish 10th at the Mary Fossum Invitational in East Lansing. The Irish closed their three-round total of 926 by shooting 23-over Sunday. Sophomore Becca Huffer led the squad with a 72 stroke final round and an overall total of 233. She opened her season with a 14th place overall finish.

"Team chemistry is really important, especially on a team this small," Irish coach Susan Holt said. "It really shows that our players do a wonderful job of supporting each other."

The Irish women's golf team posted a 615 on the opening day, and sat in a tie for eighth place with the University of Minnesota. Notre Dame trailed first-place Purdue by 36 strokes after the first day of play.

Huffer led the team the first day with a 7-over 151, sitting at 25th place in the strong field. Senior Annie Brophy finished day one right on Huffer's tail, keeping pace with a plus-eight 152.

Brophy shot a 77 in the final round of play to earn a plus-13 total at 229 for the weekend. She finished tied for 26th. Junior Katie Conway shot a 79 to finish at 236, tied for 47th. Senior Kristin Wetzel posted a final day 83 for a three-round total of 243.

"With the depth of talent on this team we've got a good chance to return to the regional championship," Holt said. "The long season started this weekend and will keep going all year."

In their next competitive rounds of the season, the Irish travel to Kentucky for the Bettie Lou Evans Invitational. The three-day tournament runs from Sept. 25 through Sept. 27 at the University of Kentucky Golf Club.