SMC dinner honors Moreau

Alicia Smith | Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Since his beatification two years ago, Saint Mary’s has honored Blessed Fr. Basil Anthony Moreau, founder of the Order of the Holy Cross, with a student and faculty-wide dinner each fall.

This year’s event was held Tuesday on the day of Moreau’s beatification, Sept. 15.

“The dinner is to honor Blessed Fr. Basil Anthony Moreau, founder of the sisters brothers and priests of Holy Cross. [The] dinner, which features a French menu, marks the second anniversary of Moreau’s beatification, took place in Le Mans, France on Sept. 15, 2007,” Barry Bowles, general manager of Sodexo Campus Dining Services said.

According to Bowles the idea for such an event originated from the Vice President of Mission, Sr. Rose Anne Schultz, in 2007.

“We decided to have two dinners, one a semester, every academic year to remember the founder of the sisters, brothers and priests of Holy Cross,” Bowles said.

The first dinner took place on Sept. 14, 2007, the eve of Moreau’s beatification. Since that time the College has continued the tradition each fall.

“This meal is near and dear to us in Dining Services and something we really enjoy putting on,” Bowles said. “It takes an awful lot of work, but it’s worth it to celebrate the heritage of the College. [It] is not a normal day and we want to make it special.”

Dining Services had been planning the event even before the academic year had begun, Bowles said.

“We start planning the meal before the start of school. We expect 1150-1200 guests, about 300 more people than a normal night because in addition to students, we have invited faculty and staff,” Bowles said. “The cooks have been preparing some aspects of the meal since Saturday.”

The dinner’s French-inspired menu remains popular amongst diners each year.

“The offerings have been the same for the last three dinners because it’s a very popular menu that features food from the country where Moreau is from and from which Holy Cross came,” Bowles said. “It’s a wonderful meal, but we do expect to make some changes for January’s banquet.”

Another special dinner will be held in Moreau’s honor this spring.

“We celebrate Moreau and his significance to the College twice a year. In September, on or around the date of his beatification, and in January, on or around his Feast Day, which is Jan. 20,” Bowles said.

Next semester’s dinner is scheduled for Jan. 20, 2010. January is also the College’s Heritage month, another ample time to reflect on Moreau’s legacy.

These dinners are an important part of the longstanding heritage of the College.

“It’s so important to Sodexo that we hold these dinners in honor of Moreau that I wrote it into our contract with the College,” Bowles said.