SMC Golf: Belles to face top teams at Depauw

The No. 13 Belles travel to Depauw this weekend for the Depauw University Small College Classic.

The Classic will be held at the Deer Creek Golf Club in Clayton, Ind. The tournament will see its fair share of ranked teams, among which are St. Mary's, Olivet and No. 9 Depauw.

Saint Mary's has not finished lower than third place in any event this year, and if they are able to generate some more momentum it would be a huge help as they head into the third MIAA jamboree next week. The Belles currently hold a slim 11-stroke lead in the conference.

A few days after a dominating performance at the MIAA's first Jamboree of the year, No. 13 Saint Mary's played well once again but fell four strokes short of first place in the second conference event of the year. Olivet College, another nationally ranked program shot a jamboree best 318, a few stroked better than the Belles' 322.

Despite a close finish, this Belles squad continues to show promise from upper and underclassmen alike. Freshman Martyna Mierzwa led the Belles for the second event in a row, shooting a team best 79, along with teammate Natalie Matuszak. Olivet's Megan Rimmel posted the best score of the day with a 75. Rosie O'Connor, Mary Kate Boyce and Perri Hamma rounded out Saint Mary's top five golfers with scores of 81, 83 and 86 respectively.

Though first place would have been nice, the Belles are still in prime position in the MIAA and will look to make another move this weekend.

By giving themselves some breathing room this upcoming week, the Belles may be able see themselves as conference champions.