Tuesday, May 7, 2024

SMC seminar prepares students for internships

A series of four internship seminars will be held at Saint Mary's College to prepare students with the skills necessary to obtain internships. The first of the series was held yesterday.

"These seminars are a part of the Cross Currents Program," Tricia Dunton, assistant director of the Career Crossings Office, said. "We understand that an internship experience is invaluable to a student's preparation for entering the workforce after they graduate."

The College has many programs that provide students with important skills to help them succeed in their future careers.

"The Career Crossings Office and Cross Currents Program hope to develop additional necessary skills outside the classroom for students to feel confident in what they can bring to an employer and the job site," Dunton said.

The seminars are geared towards students who aspire to learn about the basics for finding internships.

"Students will learn the basics of internship searching - résumé writing, cover letters, correspondence, searching for an internship, making the most of your internship experience, etc.," Dunton said.

According to Dunton, students will learn how to assess what type of internship they want, evaluate their interests and then enhance and solidify their intended career choice.

The sessions are geared towards sophomores and juniors, though freshmen and seniors are allowed to attend.

"All students were invited and asked to RSVP so we can have the appropriate materials available," Dunton said. "We really encourage sophomores and juniors to attend these sessions as they are in place in their academic curriculum to seek out and be successful in an internship experience, although all students are encouraged to learn the skills needed for a successful internship."

Though the first seminar was held Tuesday, there are three other opportunities. Each session, however, will focus on a different topic.

"There will be four sessions, Tuesday, Sept. 29, Thursday, Oct. 1, Tuesday, Oct. 6 and Thursday, Oct. 8," Dunton said.

There will be several other opportunities for students to participate in this type of seminars, Dunton said.

"This will not be the only time this seminar is offered. If you did not sign up for the seminar this time around, look for when it will be held again," Dunton said. "You can also set up appointments in our office to gain the information you are looking for if you are unable to attend."