-

-

SMC Soccer: Belles lose, draw over weekend

Katelyn Grabarek | Monday, September 21, 2009

The Belles (2-5-1) fell to No. 21 Wilimington on Friday by a score of 2-0, and finished off the weekend with a 1-1 tie with Hiram.

Belles senior Micki Hedinger had the first shot on goal against Wilmington in the eighth minute of the game, and with some strong defense from both sides the teams entered the half without a score in the game.

The Belles came out strong in the second half and had some opportunities to score, especially when senior Colleen Ferguson fired a shot that ricocheted off the crossbar in the 60th minute.

It wasn’t until the 76th minute that the Quakers were able to sneak a shot past senior Belles goalkeeper Patty Duffy for the game’s first score.

Wilmington’s Alex Hesson also recorded the second goal to make the score 2-0 in the 83rd minute, and while the Belles had a couple of shots late in the game, they were not able to rally.

Duffy had five saves in the game for the Belles.

In the second game of the weekend, Belles senior Katie Wehrli was able to notch a goal late in the game Sunday against Hiram College to even the score at one on. This was Wehrli’s first goal since October of her sophomore year.

Duffy also recorded another five saves for the Belles in the game, and two of the blocks came in the crucial overtime to keep the score knotted at one.

Overall the Belles had six players record shots in the contest.

After spending a week on the road the Belles will return to campus to take on Bethel College on Friday beginning at 5 p.m.