SMC Soccer: Belles play host to Invitational

After two straight losses coming at the hands of some tough competition, the Belles hope to rebound when they return home to host the Saint Mary's Invitational this weekend. The tournament is scheduled to kickoff when Saint Mary's takes on No. 7 Otterbein Friday at 4 p.m.

The Belles got off to fast start this season when they shutout neighbors Holy Cross 3-0 in their first game. It was a much better start than a season ago when they failed to earn a victory until their fifth contest.

Since then, Saint Mary's has struggled, albeit against opponents much stronger than what it will see in MIAA conference play. In their last two games, the Belles have been held scoreless in matches against Centre and Transylvania which were both part of the Centre College Tournament.

Senior forward Katy Durkin and sophomore Katelyn Tondo-Steele are the only two players who have registered goals so far this season. Sophomore midfielder Michelle Leonard and freshman Ashley Morfin have accounted for an assist each.

Senior goalkeeper Patty Duffy has been very good in net for the Belles, recording 23 saves on the season.

Saint Mary's first opponent of the tournament, Otterbein, will be its toughest. The Cardinals (2-1) finished last season with a trip to the NCAA Round of 16 and dropped their only match this season to a top-20 opponent.

After Otterbein, the Belles will move on to play Manchester College (1-2) Sunday at 2 p.m.