-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Jordan Gamble | Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Thursday Free burrito day at Chipotle; Eddy Street Commons; 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.; FreeFinally! Although it doesn’t officially open until Friday, the new Chipotle will be giving out free food all day Thursday. Conveniently located just across the street from the south edge of campus, the restaurant is one of the first attractions to open in Eddy Street Commons, and sure to be a student hotspot soon enough. Chipotle will give a free burrito and soft drink to all customers on Thursday before beginning regular business hours (and full menus) on Friday.

FridayTokyo String Quartet; DeBartolo Performing Arts Center; Leighton Concert Hall; 7 p.m.$40 general public, $28 faculty/staff, $28 seniors and $15 all studentsFormed in 1969 at Juilliard, the Tokyo String Quartet has traveled the world for its performances and earned dozens of awards, including seven Grammy nominations. The Quartet is celebrating its 40th anniversary, although only one of the founding members (Kazuhide Isomura, who plays viola) still performs with the group. He and the other musicians (Martin Beaver and Kikuei Ikeda with violin and Clive Greensmith with cello) all use instruments crafted by the famous Stradivari in the 1700s.

SaturdaySub Movie – The Hangover; DeBartolo 101; 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. (also 10 p.m. Thursday and 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. Friday)$3 all studentsThis surprise hit of the summer is full of gross gags and wacky humor. Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis and Bradley Cooper play three friends who get so wasted one night at a Las Vegas bachelor party that they wake up the next morning with hospital bracelets, a police cruiser, a tiger in the bathroom, a baby in the closet – and the groom (played by Justin Bartha) nowhere to be found. The cast is great together, with jokes just raunchy enough to elicit laughs.

SundayPsycho (1960); DeBartolo Performing Arts Center; Browning Cinema; 3:00 p.m.$6 general public, $5 faculty/staff, $4 seniors and $3 all studentsThis classic by Alfred Hitchcock, about a mild-mannered motel manager who just happens to murder people, is considered the prototype for the modern horror film, and with good reason. The black-and-white film has inspired dozens of rip-offs and tokens of homage. One of them, the shot-by-shot 1998 remake by Gus Van Sant (starring Notre Dame man Vince Vaughn), can also be seen Saturday night as part of the DPAC’s weekend celebration of Hitchcock.

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Genna McCabe | Friday, September 18, 2009

‘Trouble the Water’ @ DPAC, 6:30 and 9:30 p.m.

“Trouble on the Water” offers a new perspective of Hurricane Katrina which few have been exposed to. It focuses on a couple, Kim and Scott, who document their experiences through this harrowing time. Beginning a day before the storm hits, the film tracks Kim and Scott’s journey to higher ground, their return to New Orleans and their attempts to find friends and neighbors. Part home movie, part documentary, this film is sure to offer an entirely new perspective on a defining disaster in America’s recent memory.

Total Request Fortnight @ Washington Hall, 9:30 p.m.

Put on by Fortnight Productions, Total Request Fortnight will feature live performances of songs requested by the students. Fortnight Productions is a student group sponsored by Student Activities Office. In the past they have performed the musical “Titanic” and a show titled “Songs from the 2009 Broadway Season.” Practicing all shows for a mere two weeks, Fortnight Productions works to allow otherwise busy students an opportunity to participate in musical theatre. This is sure to be an excellent show.

Best of Chicago End Zone @ Lafortune Student Center, 10 p.m. — 2 a.m.

After every home game, the Student Activities Office sponsors End Zone, a themed party of sorts which always includes music and food. The theme for this week’s End Zone is “Best of Chicago.” There will be live jazz music, food from different restaurants in Chicago, door prizes and more. You are welcome to drop by anytime between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. to take part in the fun. Also, look for more exciting End Zone themes in the future.

‘Departures’ @ DPAC, 3 p.m.

Sunday, DPAC is showing the noteworthy foreign “Departures,” winner of the 2009 Academy Award for best foreign film. It is set in Japan and centers on a professional cellist, Daigo, whose orchestra loses funding. He is forced to move to his hometown in order to find employment. He takes a job titled Departures, believing it to be at a travel agency, but comes to discover that it is actually the Japanese equivalent of an embalmer. Daigo’s wife and friends do not approve of the morbid job, but Daigo begins to find a certain sense of enjoyment and fulfillment from his new position. He takes pride in his role in helping the dead find peace in their next life as well as helping families through this difficult time. With its multilayered story-line and intriguing characters, “Departures” is sure to be touching on multiple levels.

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Genna McCabe | Thursday, September 10, 2009

Thursday, September 10, 2009
Actors from the London Stage presents “King Lear” @ DPAC 7:30 p.m. and Samurai Jim @ Legends 10 p.m.
One of Shakespeare’s best known tragedies, this production of “King Lear” is presented by the Actors from the London Stage, a world-renowned troupe which has worked in tandem with Shakespeare at Notre Dame for several years now. “King Lear,” showing at DPAC Thursday and Friday at 7:30 p.m., includes the usual level of intrigue, deception, love and death that can be found in most Shakespearean tragedies. Some may remember Samurai Jim as one of the opening acts for Matisyahu at the B1 Block Party. Self defined as an alternative-rock progressive group, Samurai Jim will be back on campus Thursday and sure to entertain with guitar-driven melodies and a general rock feel. Go out and support a home-grown talent from right here in South Bend.

Friday, September 11, 2009
Carbon Leaf @ Legends 10 p.m.
The Richmond-based group returns to Legends this weekend for their second show. Just having released their seventh album, Carbon Leaf is known for a folk-pop-rock sound. Somewhat similar to Dave Matthews Band and other groups from that generation, Carbon Leaf promises to be a great show. It is anticipated that this will be a popular show, so be sure to get there early. And don’t miss the Black light Nightclub following the concert!

Saturday, September 12, 2009
Dan Levy @ Legends 10 p.m.
After being named Funniest College Comedian his sophomore year at Emerson, Dan Levy has done well making a name for himself in the comedy industry. For the past several years, he has been seen at the Montreal Just for Laughs Comedy Festival and has made appearances on “Chelsea Lately,” “The Late Late Show” and “MTV Spring Break.” Additionally, Levy has appeared on his own Comedy Central special, “Comedy Central Presents: Dan Levy”. Still in touch with his college roots, Levy now spends most of his time performing on college campuses across the country. He will be performing at Legends at 10 p.m. Saturday night. Following his performance, the infamous Hip Hop night returns to Legends at midnight.

Sunday, September 13, 2009
Robert Clark @ DPAC 2:30 and 5 p.m.
The widely known organist and former director of the program of organ instruction at Arizona State University will be performing his organ recital series on campus Sunday. Clark has performed as a recitalist in North America and Europe and directed a symposium, “The Historical Organ in America” at Arizona State University in 1992, drawing in 350 organists, organ builders and teachers from North America, Asia and Europe. Clark’s recital series will take place at Debartolo Performing Arts Center’s Reyes Organ and Choral Hall at 2:30 and 5 p.m.

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Thursday, September 10, 2009Actors from the London Stage presents “King Lear” @ DPAC 7:30 p.m. and Samurai Jim @ Legends 10 p.m.One of Shakespeare’s best known tragedies, this production of “King Lear” is presented by the Actors from the London Stage, a world-renowned troupe which has worked in tandem with Shakespeare at Notre Dame for several years now. “King Lear,” showing at DPAC Thursday and Friday at 7:30 p.m., includes the usual level of intrigue, deception, love and death that can be found in most Shakespearean tragedies. Some may remember Samurai Jim as one of the opening acts for Matisyahu at the B1 Block Party. Self defined as an alternative-rock progressive group, Samurai Jim will be back on campus Thursday and sure to entertain with guitar-driven melodies and a general rock feel. Go out and support a home-grown talent from right here in South Bend. Friday, September 11, 2009Carbon Leaf @ Legends 10 p.m.The Richmond-based group returns to Legends this weekend for their second show. Just having released their seventh album, Carbon Leaf is known for a folk-pop-rock sound. Somewhat similar to Dave Matthews Band and other groups from that generation, Carbon Leaf promises to be a great show. It is anticipated that this will be a popular show, so be sure to get there early. And don’t miss the Black light Nightclub following the concert!

Saturday, September 12, 2009Dan Levy @ Legends 10 p.m.After being named Funniest College Comedian his sophomore year at Emerson, Dan Levy has done well making a name for himself in the comedy industry. For the past several years, he has been seen at the Montreal Just for Laughs Comedy Festival and has made appearances on “Chelsea Lately,” “The Late Late Show” and “MTV Spring Break.” Additionally, Levy has appeared on his own Comedy Central special, “Comedy Central Presents: Dan Levy”. Still in touch with his college roots, Levy now spends most of his time performing on college campuses across the country. He will be performing at Legends at 10 p.m. Saturday night. Following his performance, the infamous Hip Hop night returns to Legends at midnight.

Sunday, September 13, 2009Robert Clark @ DPAC 2:30 and 5 p.m.The widely known organist and former director of the program of organ instruction at Arizona State University will be performing his organ recital series on campus Sunday. Clark has performed as a recitalist in North America and Europe and directed a symposium, “The Historical Organ in America” at Arizona State University in 1992, drawing in 350 organists, organ builders and teachers from North America, Asia and Europe. Clark’s recital series will take place at Debartolo Performing Arts Center’s Reyes Organ and Choral Hall at 2:30 and 5 p.m.

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Kaitlyn Conway | Thursday, September 3, 2009

Thursday, September 3″I Love You Man,” 12 a.m.; Legends

Looking for laughs? Legends has got you covered! Student stand-up comedy is at 10 p.m., and is guaranteed to provide delightfully off-colored jokes for your enjoyment. This is the time to stake out this year’s rising comedians with the first show of the year.If that’s not enough for you, Legends is also screening “I Love You Man” at midnight. Starring Paul Rudd and Jason Segel, this film is a great bromance that everyone can enjoy. Both Rudd and Segel have received high praises for the movie.

Friday, September 4Dillon Pep Rally; 5.45 p.m.; South Quad

It’s back! After the controversial hiatus of last year, the Dillon Pep Rally has returned to campus! This is the only pep rally on campus this Friday, and it is highly suggested that you attend. Comedy and school spirit combine for an instant win. Be there: 5:45 p.m. on the South Quad side of Dillon. Go Irish, beat Wolfpack!Looking for something a little later in the evening? “The Brothers Bloom” is playing at DPAC at 9:30 p.m. This film tells the story of the con-pulling Bloom brothers (Adrien Brody and Mark Ruffalo) and their latest target, the rich heiress Penelope (Rachel Weisz). The dramedy received positive reviews overall. Tickets: $6, $5 faculty/staff, $4 seniors, $3 all students.

Saturday, September 5Michael Jackson Tribute Night; 12 a.m.; Legends

So I don’t know if everyone’s heard, but the King of Pop died this summer. What are we going to do now? If you suddenly feel the inexplicable urge to dance and shout “Thriller!!! In the night!,” then Legends has got you covered Saturday at midnight with Michael Jackson Tribute night. This is the perfect opportunity to dance in celebration after the first win of the season! If it turns out to be otherwise, than you can mourn Michael Jackson and the performance of the football team all at the same time.

Sunday, September 6″Afghan Star”; 3 p.m.; Browning Cinema at Debartolo Performing Arts Center

Don’t worry: Sunday’s weekends activities won’t interfere with Mass, I promise. “Afghan Star” is playing in the Browning Cinema at DPAC at 3 p.m. This film is a documentary about Afghanistan’s version of “American Idol” after the fall of the Taliban. The contestants for the show include three women. The show itself is an example of democracy for the people through voting for performers, and the effect it’s had on the culture there is noteworthy, as it displays the country’s struggle to achieve modernity. Tickets: $6, $5 faculty/staff, $4 seniors, $3 all students.