Weekend Events Calendar

'Trouble the Water' @ DPAC, 6:30 and 9:30 p.m.

"Trouble on the Water" offers a new perspective of Hurricane Katrina which few have been exposed to. It focuses on a couple, Kim and Scott, who document their experiences through this harrowing time. Beginning a day before the storm hits, the film tracks Kim and Scott's journey to higher ground, their return to New Orleans and their attempts to find friends and neighbors. Part home movie, part documentary, this film is sure to offer an entirely new perspective on a defining disaster in America's recent memory.

Total Request Fortnight @ Washington Hall, 9:30 p.m.

Put on by Fortnight Productions, Total Request Fortnight will feature live performances of songs requested by the students. Fortnight Productions is a student group sponsored by Student Activities Office. In the past they have performed the musical "Titanic" and a show titled "Songs from the 2009 Broadway Season." Practicing all shows for a mere two weeks, Fortnight Productions works to allow otherwise busy students an opportunity to participate in musical theatre. This is sure to be an excellent show.

Best of Chicago End Zone @ Lafortune Student Center, 10 p.m. -- 2 a.m.

After every home game, the Student Activities Office sponsors End Zone, a themed party of sorts which always includes music and food. The theme for this week's End Zone is "Best of Chicago." There will be live jazz music, food from different restaurants in Chicago, door prizes and more. You are welcome to drop by anytime between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. to take part in the fun. Also, look for more exciting End Zone themes in the future.

'Departures' @ DPAC, 3 p.m.

Sunday, DPAC is showing the noteworthy foreign "Departures," winner of the 2009 Academy Award for best foreign film. It is set in Japan and centers on a professional cellist, Daigo, whose orchestra loses funding. He is forced to move to his hometown in order to find employment. He takes a job titled Departures, believing it to be at a travel agency, but comes to discover that it is actually the Japanese equivalent of an embalmer. Daigo's wife and friends do not approve of the morbid job, but Daigo begins to find a certain sense of enjoyment and fulfillment from his new position. He takes pride in his role in helping the dead find peace in their next life as well as helping families through this difficult time. With its multilayered story-line and intriguing characters, "Departures" is sure to be touching on multiple levels.