Zombie Lookout: This week in zombie news

As vampires start to get on everyone's nerves, here is an update of everything that is zombie in the world of media.

Cranberries

The band with the popular song "Zombie" is reuniting to sing and write a few more single-word titled songs. After a six year hiatus the band has decided to give it another go and start touring at the end of the year in the U.S., followed by further tours in Europe starting in 2010. Hopefully for the sake of the Cranberries some of their fans are still lingering.

George A. Romero:

The man who started all of the zombie madness, George A. Romero, recently presented his latest film "Survival of the Dead" in Venice. Romero can be blamed when it comes to the zombie film plague: He was the director of the original "Night of the Living Dead," a movie from which most of our modern zombie culture emerges. The film claims to continue pushing the envelope when it comes to explicit violence and gore but there remains doubt as to whether this is possible.  

"Dead Snow:"

Zombies? Check. Norwegians? Check. Nazis? Double check. If it has long been your desire to see Norwegian medical students fight hordes of zombie Nazis, then your moment has arrived. The film had been in limited release in the United States and will soon be making its way to DVD, a zombie horror comedy quite unlike many others.

"Zombieland:"

A zombie horror romantic comedy starring Woody Harrelson, Jessie Eisenberg, Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin arriving in theaters Oct. 2. The film pits these four non-zombies against an entire society of brain-eating monsters. Hoping to escape the zombie plague, the crew stops at an amusement park. Action and hilarity ensue, along with zombie gore and a heart-warming love story.

Zombie Walk:

A type of protest or public gathering of people dressed as zombies. Be it for political or fundraising goals, the popularity of these events has grown steadily. The participants slowly waddle and limp towards various locations, occasionally attending zombie pub crawls. The size of these crowds is also nothing to drool at. This July in Seattle the world record was broken as 3,894 zombies started blankly at each other until the Guinness judges could tabulate their numbers. These events are most often organized as a rally for blood donations although food drives have also had good success.

"Resident Evil: Afterlife"

The recently announced fourth film in the series is set to start filming in a month. Milla Jovovich and Ali Larter will reprise their roles from the previous films alongside Wentworth Miller (of TV's "Prison Break"). The "Resident Evil" films are based on a series of video games of the same name. This film will take place during a worldwide zombie infestation with the heroes hiding in a jail. The films have grossed over $450 million worldwide, so sequels will apparently continue as audiences continue to pay.