­New task forces created to address issues on campus

At Tuesday's Council of Representatives (COR) meeting, Campus Life Council (CLC) representatives announced additional task forces that will address specific issues central to campus life.  

The new task forces will include a Student Legal Services Committee, an On-Campus and Off-Campus Advertising Committee and a Disciplinary Records Committee. 
In a joint effort with the University, the legal services task force will focus on providing assistance to students who are seeking legal council.

"This is modeled after several other universities that give students the opportunity to receive certain legal advice" on issues such as landlord-tenant issues, alcohol-related issues or civil matters, student body president Grant Schmidt said.

The Disciplinary Records Committee will be working with the Office of Residence Life and Housing to recommend striking minor infractions from a student's record that occurred during his or her first year, given that the student had no subsequent violations.
When applying to graduate schools, students often find themselves negatively affected by minor infractions, student body vice president Cynthia Weber said.  

"This is a really interesting topic and would be appreciated by many," Schmidt said.
CLC has also created an advertising task force that will analyze and address the methods of marketing for events and resources on and off campus.

"There are so many ways people advertise across campus," campus advertising chairwoman Bridget Bredemann said.  "But what's the most efficient way to advertise to students?"

Looking to streamline the ways student groups and organizations publicize information, the committee will examine the effectiveness of midnight e-mails and the possibility of a central location on campus for posting flyers and posters.

"Other campuses have a centralized spot where all the advertising goes," Schmidt said.  "We still want people to have a little competition for advertising, but there are so many events and people just don't know how to get the word out."

In other COR news:
u Schmidt discussed financial aid at Notre Dame and looked to COR members for important questions to ask the Office of Financial Aid at the next COR meeting.  
Many COR members emphasized the need for greater transparency in the financial aid office, as well as a better understanding of what constitutes demonstrated need when receiving aid.