College holds 5k for children's hospital

Saint Mary's College Dance Marathon will host its second annual 5K Trot for Tots to benefit the Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis. 

The event will be held Sunday and participation is open to the public. All proceeds from this event will be given to the Riley Hospital for Children — one of the only comprehensive children's hospital in Indiana. 

"The Riley Hospital for Children affects the lives of many children and families throughout Indiana. The Trot for Tots 5K is a great way to support the local community and raise money for an excellent cause," said Kelly Deranek, Dance Marathon president. 

As a comprehensive hospital, the Riley Hospital for Children is capable of treating all forms of illness, serving families from every region of the state, including the greater South Bend area. The hospital admits all sick children, regardless of a family's ability to pay for treatment, according to the Hospital's Web site.

Check-in begins at Saint Mary's Angela Athletic Facility at 7:30 a.m. The registration fee of $25 for the 5K and $10 for the "fun run" on the day of the race includes a black, long-sleeved t-shirt and refreshments following the race. 

The 5K run or walk will begin at 9 a.m. Participants will follow a course on the nature trails surrounding Saint Mary's campus. A half-mile children's "fun run" will be held at 10 a.m. 
Saint Mary's Dance Marathon is beginning its fifth year as a student organization by hosting the event. The purpose of the group is to raise money for the Riley Children's Hospital throughout the year, leading up to their final fundraising effort — a twelve hour dance marathon March 26-27 from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. 

Last year, Dance Marathon raised just over $90,000 for the Hospital. Within the last four years, over $245,000 has been raised to benefit the Children's Miracle Network Hospital. 
Saint Mary's is one of 113 colleges and universities to host a Dance Marathon for the Children's Miracle Network of Hospitals.

"The Children's Miracle Network of Hospitals give every child who walks through their door the best treatments and professional care available," Deranek said.