-

-

Dining Hall Dish

Eric Prister | Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sandwiches have always been the prototypical lunch food, but they can become boring, especially because people have the tendency to choose the same sandwich over and over again. Here are three hot sandwiches that can add some variety to one’s normal lunch menu.

Frisco Melt
For those who enjoy Steak ‘n Shake food but prefer not to eat at 3 a.m. when Steak ‘n Shake is normally consumed, this recipe is helpful.
Grab one of the pre-made grilled cheese sandwiches, open it, and put a hamburger in between the two slices of bread. Then, add another slice of cheese to the sandwich on top of the burger. Finally, mix about 2/3 of a ladel full of Thousand Island dressing to 1/3 of a ladel of French dressing, and put this homemade “Frisco” sauce on top of the cheese to finish off your Frisco Melt.

Hot Roast Beef and Cheese Grinder
Remove most of the bread from one half of a sub bun. Split the bun in two, and place on the toaster. While it’s toasting, take twelve slices of roast beef. Place six slices, or as many as fit, directly on the Panini press to heat them. Once all six have been placed, flip them over and heat them for a few more seconds.
The bread should be ready by this point, so put the six heated slices of roast beef on the side with the bread removed. Immediately pour copious amounts of shredded cheese on top of the roast beef. Repeat the process with the other six slices, and put them on top of the cheese. Garnish with desired vegetables, preferably lettuce and tomato to balance out the hot sandwich with crunchy, cold vegetables.

Chipotle Chicken and Bacon Sandwich
Place two grilled chicken breasts on a slice of hearty bread, preferably rye or pumpernickel. Top with two slices of cheese, and then with Chipotle sauce. On the other slice of bread, place desired vegetables, though lettuce and tomato are once again recommended.
Then, grill four slices of bacon directly on the panini press, just like the roast beef in the previous recipe. Add the bacon to the sandwich, and then put the entire sandwich through the toaster to finish the creation.

-

-

Dining Hall Dish

Liz Chaten | Wednesday, October 14, 2009

This week’s Dining Hall Dish features two of favorite pasta standbys, as well as a crowd-pleasing dessert. Simple and easy-to-make, these dining hall classics can easily be concocted in a few  minutes. 

Chicken Parmesan 

Four hundred years ago, chefs in Bologna topped a breaded veal cutlet with ham and cheese. The dish quickly grew in popularity and spread to Parma, where they took away the ham and renamed the dish veal parmigiana. The dining hall features a modernized chicken version every so often, but I find that when lines are long, making my own version of this dish is a quick way to get a homey, Italian dinner. 

1. Fill a plate bowl with your favorite pasta. 

2. Add a chicken breast (breaded or grilled). 

3. Cover with spaghetti sauce and mozzarella. 

4. Microwave till cheese is melted.  Add flavor with a dash of Italian seasoning.  Enjoy! 

Pasta Primavera Salad 

This Italian dish was highlighted on “Seinfeld” as the food Elaine sneezed on, causing the president of NBC to become sick. In honor of the reunion of the “Seinfeld” cast this year, I offer a simple dining hall version of this famous dish. Light and cheerful, this salad works fabulously as a healthy side dish, but I recommend adding a few chicken strips or some chickpeas in order to make it your entrée. 

1. Fill a bowl half-way with your favorite pasta – tri-color rotini works best. 

2. Add your favorite salad mix-ins: cucumbers, broccoli, shredded carrots and red onions all work well. Don’t be afraid to explore the Mexican station for some other add-ins, like diced tomatoes and onions. 

3. Spoon Italian-dressing on top, to taste.  For an extra kick, squeeze a lemon on top. 

Ice Cream Sandwich 

Around the globe, this dessert is universally coveted. Scotland calls it a ‘slider,’ England calls it an ‘ice cream wafer,’ and Australians simply call it the ‘Giant Sandwich.’ After you master the basics, try making the dessert your own by spreading peanut butter, whipped cream, or even jelly on one of the cookies. 

1. Take two cookies, preferably chocolate chip – bonus points if they are freshly baked! 

2. Scoop your favorite ice cream on top of the bottom of a cookie. Place the base of the other cookie on top, and squish together. Frozen yogurt can be used, but due to its soft consistency, be ready for a bit of a mess!

-

-

Dining Hall Dish

Elizabeth Chaten | Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Chicken Parmesan

Pasta Primavera Salad

Ice Cream Sandwich

-

-

Dining Hall Dish

Liz Chaten | Monday, October 5, 2009

In my house, Friday nights always meant pizza. Whether Chicago-style or thin-crust, a good slice of pie always brought the family together at the end of a hectic week.  Although the pizza options on campus – from Reckers, to NDH’s make-your-own – certainly satisfy the average pizza craving, here are a few creative pizzas to add to your dining hall rotation.

Mediterranean Pizza
 My vegetarian pal Andrea always creates imaginative ideas for dinner, including this quirky twist on the Italian classic. Despite its savory taste, this pizza is full of healthy goodness. The protein and fiber in hummus help satisfy hunger pains. Feta adds a bit of calcium and a topping of veggies can sneak a few vitamins and minerals into your dinner.
 1. Grab a pita by the sandwich station.  If desired, grill in the Panini maker to add some crispiness to your crust.
2. Spread hummus on top.
3. Top with shredded carrots, red onions, cucumbers, feta cheese crumbles, and chickpeas. Slice and enjoy!

Mexican Pizza
 Taco Bell, a haven for late-night Mexican munchies, introduced me to this clever twist on a classic. Easily recreated in the dining hall, I offer a simple variation on this drive-thru delight.
 1. Top a tortilla with a layer of shredded cheese.  Place another tortilla on top and grill on the Panini maker to make a quesadilla-style crust.
2. Top the crust with refried beans, salsa, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, and any other Mexican fixings you crave.  I’m a fan of the chipotle lime sauce at North. Slice and enjoy!

Treat-za Pizza
 Many junior high sleepovers were spent making this sweet treat.  Share this decadent dessert with a friend or two.
 1. Grab a pita by the sandwich station.
2. Spread peanut butter on top.
3. Spoon chocolate pudding over the peanut butter.
4. Send through the oven at South Dining Hall.
5. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top.  Finish with your favorite ice cream toppings: Oreo crumbs, M&Ms, marshmallows or a drizzle of caramel can add a touch of whimsy.

QUICK TIP:  Did you know that you can request olive oil instead of pizza sauce at NDH?  By using olive oil, you can cut calories and create a fabulous Margherita pizza of tomatoes, onions and mozzarella. 

-

-

Dining Hall Dish

Liz Chaten | Monday, October 5, 2009

Mediterranean Pizza My vegetarian pal Andrea always creates imaginative ideas for dinner, including this quirky twist on the Italian classic. Despite its savory taste, this pizza is full of healthy goodness. The protein and fiber in hummus help satisfy hunger pains. Feta adds a bit of calcium and a topping of veggies can sneak a few vitamins and minerals into your dinner. 1. Grab a pita by the sandwich station.  If desired, grill in the Panini maker to add some crispiness to your crust.2. Spread hummus on top.3. Top with shredded carrots, red onions, cucumbers, feta cheese crumbles, and chickpeas. Slice and enjoy! Mexican Pizza Taco Bell, a haven for late-night Mexican munchies, introduced me to this clever twist on a classic. Easily recreated in the dining hall, I offer a simple variation on this drive-thru delight. 1. Top a tortilla with a layer of shredded cheese.  Place another tortilla on top and grill on the Panini maker to make a quesadilla-style crust.2. Top the crust with refried beans, salsa, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, and any other Mexican fixings you crave.  I’m a fan of the chipotle lime sauce at North. Slice and enjoy! Treat-za Pizza Many junior high sleepovers were spent making this sweet treat.  Share this decadent dessert with a friend or two. 1. Grab a pita by the sandwich station.2. Spread peanut butter on top.3. Spoon chocolate pudding over the peanut butter.4. Send through the oven at South Dining Hall.5. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top.  Finish with your favorite ice cream toppings: Oreo crumbs, M&Ms, marshmallows or a drizzle of caramel can add a touch of whimsy.