Emerald attire for gameday and everyday

Everyone is going green some way or another so why not wear it and express it through the newest clothing styles? Colors like black and white which have always been considered "safe" and timeless, but it is time for both men and women to embrace the color of our earth.

With fall's arrival and winter  around the corner, we can experiment with  many clothes selections. Taking advantage of the vibrant and generous color of green would be an excellent start. Cold weather is something we all have become extremely familiar with and having green, blue and gold as our school colors is a blessing in disguise. Our own Fighting Irish leprechaun does an amazing job utilizing the colors in his wardrobe so you should have no problem with this.

The Hammes Notre Dame Bookstore is the mecca of shopping  for everything Irish green, but people heading to  department stores are picking up new must-haves that are  displayed in every store front. Walking through the mall, mannequins show off the newest forest green coats and sea foam green accessories that are overwhelming shoppers and enticing them to purchase them.  Playing with different shades of this amazing color is encouraged. You will not only be looking fabulous with your new ensembles but also  exemplifying that irresistible Notre Dame spirit everywhere you go.

The fall season is a perfect time to practice wearing the many variations that "green" has adopted. Jade, mint and olive greens are a fall fashion feature that can be incorporated in a student's wardrobe easily. Jade has become a popular jewelry accessory amongst the young women on campus. For men especially, those who are red-headed look amazing in strong emeralds and forest greens that make the eyes pop and the women do a double-take.

Green is a universal color that can be dressed up and dressed down. Many shades of green have been the inspiration for several fashion designers including Betsey Johnson's jewelry collection, Vivienne Westwood's Anglomania collection, and Eva Danielle's Force of Nature collection. Green is such a versatile color because you can mix and match so easy with it. Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger have also utilized sea foam greens and light pastel colors in men's button ups and slacks that can be worm in a casual or formal setting. Make casual clothes dressy with a few easy additions like shoes or classic blazers. Having a versatile wardrobe, especially when being a full time student, is key.

Fall is also the season of ND football, which gives people the opportunity to dress out in their favorite and most creative displays of greens. Women who are on the search for new ways to wear green might want to look into fun new nail polish shades, scarves, unique earrings and cozy but still fashionable coats that at Forever 21 and TJ Maxx, where prices are affordable. For the men in the crowd, Old Navy and H&M are also excellent stores to find great jackets, sweaters, and scarves that incorporate the color green in patterns and main clothing pieces.

Green is the color of nature and our land, so wearing it will exude sophistication and sensitivity everywhere you go. Today wearing green is not only a fashion statement but a way to help the earth. Numerous fashion lines have surfaced this year that offer recycled and organic clothing. Target offers this alternative, and numerous Web sites online give people new ideas and options of clothing that can not only benefit you but the earth as well. One Web site in particular that does this is eco-chick.com, which promotes organic and eco-friendly makeup, jeans, jewelry, hair appliances and skin care.

Fall and winter are cold seasons but fashionable ones. Don't let the gloomy and dark skies effect the way you express yourself through your clothes. Whether you are a man or a woman think of the cold weather as an excuse to wear even more clothes! Layering and playing with what you already have in your closest is a great way to start. You can look exceptional in original clothing and amazing footwear. This Saturday's game against USC is a perfect opportunity to flaunt your green. Green is a powerful color and with the big green-out coming up there should be no excuses. Let the color green be your guide this fashion season when picking out everything from boots to beanies.