Fourteen arrested during BC game

Students said they recognized how critical Notre Dame's football game against Boston College on Saturday was, making the win all the more satisfying.

"For me, this game was crucial because we started last year's season with a 4-2 record as we have this year, but then ended 6-6. Another win was necessary to secure our team's confidence and set the tone for avoiding a finish like last season after starting with the same record as last season," sophomore Kelly Nolan said.

Saturday's game saw the arrests of 14 people both in and outside the stadium, director of Notre Dame Security Police Phil Johnson said. Johnson also said 21 people were removed from Notre Dame Stadium, mostly for alcohol-related violations.

Johnson said six people were arrested on campus outside the stadium, one of whom was detained for indecent exposure as well as public intoxication.

"Each was lodged in the Saint Joseph County Jail," Johnson said.

Police also issued four summonses for underage drinking outside the stadium.

Inside the stadium, six people were arrested for public intoxication, one for public intoxication and disorderly conduct and one for public intoxication, disorderly conduct and resisting law enforcement.

After the game, students focused on how the 20-16 win ended a losing streak to Boston College that dated back to 2000.

"I think it's a really great Catholic rivalry and I thought it was a really fun game.  I can't wait for them to come back senior year," sophomore Didi Thekkethala said.

Students also said they fully expected an unpredictable game, based on the season thus far.

"It seems like you're never sure which way the game is going to go, down to the very last minute," freshman Liz Moore said.

Sophomore Tim Ryan expressed some reservations about the team's performance despite the win.

"It's great that we finally snapped the losing streak against Boston College but I was still a little worried because the team seemed a little flat," Ryan said.
Freshman Joe Vanderberg agreed. 

"I thought the game was closer than it should have been," he said.

Other students disagreed and pointed out outstanding plays that led to the Irish's close 20-16 victory.

"McCarthy's interception gave hope to everyone and was a true turnaround in a close game," freshman Sam Murphy said.

In the end, the team was able to make its way back into the rankings within the next 24 hours.

For both students and players, the cold weather did not deter post-game celebration.
"Despite the weather, Irish fans are always there until together we say ‘love thee Notre Dame,'" Moore said.