-

-

Go ahead and rush

Hugh McDermott | Wednesday, October 14, 2009

This letter is a response to Kevin Sullivan’s “Don’t rush the field” (Oct. 12). I hope this does not come across as a vent; however, I don’t know what annoys me more: alumni writing into The Observer (I realize Mr. Sullivan only graduated last year, but still) or fans being ignorant to the fact that we just haven’t been a good football team lately. If you have to make it an obvious point that we are a better team than another, it probably means that we are not or at least most people think we are not. The last time we beat USC was eight years ago under Bob Davie. Since then our dominating Irish are a whopping 0-7, we have been supreme on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball, getting outscored 284-95 (or 76-3 in the last two years of our Heisman hopeful’s tenure).

So I say that if we do beat the number six-ranked USC Trojans, who have already allowed a disappointing three touchdowns this year (one came in the final 30 seconds against Washington State) and have only rushed for a measly 1,040 yards as a team (don’t worry, we will get them on the goal line this time around), we should definitely bull rush the field. Heaven forbid we show our support for the guys who have looked more fired up to play every down for the gold helmets then ever since I have been here.

Why not go down after the game and give Pete Carroll one of his patented high fives for not completely annihilating us this year, or put your arm around a sweaty Jimmy or someone else on the team that just worked their butt off for your entertainment and belt out the Alma Mater like some ecstatic kid in the candy store? I know, it sounds way more fun and pompous to stay in the stands and golf clap after every touchdown and victory with our better team’s performances, but I just think some of us could get off of our high horses and try and have a good time for once. Go Irish! Destroy USC!

Hugh McDermott

junior

Carroll Hall

Oct. 12

-

-

Go ahead and rush

Letter to the Editor | Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Hugh McDermott

junior

Carroll Hall

Oct. 12