No band? I'm sorry

In response to Jim Blase ("No band, no excuses", Sept. 28), I would like to ask, were you in band when you attended Notre Dame Law School? My guess is no. If you knew how the band worked, you would know that we are told what games we are playing at, and when. We, as band members, cannot just "volunteer" to attend a game that the whole band is not being sent to, it just does not work that way. If I were to walk into the Purdue stadium holding my clarinet saying, "I'm going to volunteer to play the Notre Dame school songs," they would look at me like I was crazy. I know the band appreciates people wanting us to be at games, but you have to know how the system works before you get upset about it.

Purdue was my first game as a "normal" Notre Dame student, no uniform, no instrument, and I wouldn't trade it for a thing. Don't get me wrong, I love playing in the band at football games more than anything, but the opportunity to wear an Notre Dame jersey, beads, face paint, and other Notre Dame accessories is something I've been waiting for, so don't take that away from me because your voice wasn't loud enough to sing the Victory March and Alma Mater over the Purdue fans like mine and the rest of my band friends who attended the game. Thanks, and Go Irish, beat Huskies!

Jessica Young

Senior

Lewis hall

Sept. 29